cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burning up of STEVAL-STLCS01V1.

SJosh.8
Associate

Hello Folks,

Greetings. I have been using STEVAL-STLCS01V1 on one of my IoT project and for some reason have burnt a few of them. I am pretty sure there is no short between the pins as well as no design issue. Has some one faced something similar? It seems to be working okay for some time and then all of a sudden it gets really hot and then not able to connect to to ST link utility.

If anyone has seen something similar please let me know.

Really appreciate your help.

Regards

Subham

3 REPLIES 3
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Subham @SJosh.8​ ,

Did you soldered the STEVAL-STLCS01V1 on the Cradle, or you plugged it on the Cradle expansion in your application?

Did you face issue in soldering it?

0693W00000FBdIQQA1.jpg 

-Eleon

SJosh.8
Associate

Hello Eleon,

Sorry I forgot to mention that it has been soldered onto a custom PCB design. majority of the sensor tile worked fine with the design and survived the bring up process but a few of them got extremely hot depicting a short circuit. I have checked the design and everything, Most of the PCB's I made are working except a few with broken sensortile. I just wanted to know if this issue of sensortile burning out is something normal with custom designs or not.

Regards|Subham

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Subham @SJosh.8​ ,

I can say that it should not be normal, but also that the STEVAL-STLCS01V1 cannot be guaranteed at the same performance levels than the single chips composing it. I'm referring especially to ESD issue during assembly of the board on the motherboard, and in particular during the soldering phase: is this process automatized or do you perform the soldering by hand? In this latter case, can you assure you are not damaging the circuit? And which kind of electrical issue are you facing (you mentioned the sensortile heats up, but is this due to some short path between GND and Vdd, for example)?

-Eleon