cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STUSB4700: Power Delivery Configuration Questions

KMew
Senior III

Hello,

I am designing a USB-C Power Delivery circuit where our product is the source (NOT the sink). The system can be enabled/disabled via a user button, meaning the USB-C PD portion will lose its control supply power. I would like to be able to achieve either 60W or 100W charging capabilities and I would like the USB-C PD voltage/current settings to be remembered, even when power is lost (similar to a NVM).

I found one part that may be able to work for our needs (STUSB4700), but I am trying to understand how to design it currently. I have the following questions:

1) This is a general USB-C question. If the source is configured to do up to 100W (20V, 5A) but the sink is rated to less than that (Say, 15W/5V/3A, for example). As long as 15W is one of the configured power levels on the STUSB4700, does the communication between them both ensure it does not go beyond 15W?

2) The datasheet mentions "The STUSB4700 has a set of user-defined parameters that can be customized by NVM re-programming and/or by software through I2C interface." Since I want this to maintain the settings, even when supply power is lost, what is the simpler solution to do this?

3) To expand upon question 2, what do I need to program the settings I desire for the PD? For example, if I want 5V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/3A, 20V/3A, 20V/5A, what hardware do I need to configure this? I see a reference to a STSW-STUSB002 GUI to configure it, but I am unclear on how to connect it to the STUSB4700.

Thank you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Benoit FORET
ST Employee

Hi KMew,

In order to make effective recommendations, may I ask 1st what is your application (AC/DC, DC/DC, single port or multi port) ?

The way USB PD negotiation works is the following:

1) the SOURCE shares its power profiles (advertising)

2) the SINK can request only 1 of the power profiles advertised

3) the SOURCE will accept (or not)) based on expressed SINK current requirement

4) SOURCE and SINK will transition to the agreed power node

5) SINK's duty is to draw no more current that the negotiated one (otherwise the SOURCE may collapse). The SINK (at application level) shall protect itself in general, and against unappropriate voltage (versus the negotiated one) especially.

6) The SOURCE (at application level) shall protect itself in general, and against overload/overcurrent especially.

Rgds,

Benoit

KMew
Senior III

Hello Benoit,

Thank you for the reply.

Our application is a portable battery pack that can power a variety of different loads. So using a ~48V battery, we want to be capable of charging as many typical USB-C devices as possible (cell phones, battery banks, laptops, etc. There will be no data transmission and we do not wish to charge our internal battery via the USB-C. I hope that information helps you understand my application better.

Thank you very much for explaining how USB-C typically operates! This communication method will be very helpful when I begin working with it.

With this information, are you able to assist me with Question 2/3? Or do you require additional information?

Hello Benoit,

Thank you for the reply.

Our application is a portable battery pack that can power a variety of different loads. So using a ~48V battery, we want to be capable of charging as many typical USB-C devices as possible (cell phones, battery banks, laptops, etc. There will be no data transmission and we do not wish to charge our internal battery via the USB-C. I hope that information helps you understand my application better.

Thank you very much for explaining how USB-C typically operates! This communication method will be very helpful when I begin working with it.

With this information, are you able to assist me with Question 2/3? Or do you require additional information?

Hi KMew,

OK. Clear. So let me recommend STUSB4710 instead of STUSB4700. STUSB4710 is cheaper and simpler to use.

You can download STSW-STUSB004 software package for the NVM customisation and follow the Quick Start instruction on the same web page. The related GUI is called: STSW-STUSB001.

Please note that this product is not able to check Cable current capabilities, so it can be configured up to 5A for captive cable implementation or 3A otherwise.

Rgds,

Benoit

Hello Benoit,

Thank you for the recommendation! 60W is acceptable for our application, so if I had to just use 3A and have it adjust to the typical voltage (5V, 9V, 12V, 15V, 20V), that would be sufficient for my application!

I have two follow-up questions:

1) This Quick Start guide explains that you use a Nucleo board with the STEVAL-ISC005V1 evaluation board. What I still don't see is how I physically connect these to the STUSB4710 chip. What pins are necessary?

2) For mass manufacturing, if we want to use the USB-C PD, we have to include the programming of each STUSB4710 to use, which is an additional step (which increases costs). Is there an ST version that either has the default NVM settings that are up to 60W or one that does auto-scanning of some form?

Thank you in advance.

Hi KMew,

1) STSW-STUSB004 Quick Start manual references both STEVA-ISC005V1 (STUSB4500) and STEVAL-ISC004V1 (STUSB4710). NVM customization is done through I²C interface (connection pins - page 10)

2) No unfortunately, there is a single version of the product, as USB PD standard covers a large scope of applications, and our customers also have their own settings (UVP and OVP thresholds for instance). The full NVM data set is about 40-50 bytes.

Rgds,

Benoit