cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueNRG-M2SA and long range BLE

path321
Associate II

Hello,

I am developing a platform with BLE Beacon connectivity and I am looking to extend the range of our device. Until now, I have been using BLUENRG-M2SA module, which is BLE v5.2 ceritifed. I know that BLE v5.1 >= versions include "long range" mode ( 125 or 500 kbps datarate ), usually described as Coded PHY, but couldn't find any mention of it on M2SA documents.

Does BLUENRG-M2SA module support BLE Coded PHY ? If yes, could you point me to a respective document or source file ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

It is often misunderstood that the Long Range Feature (Coded PHY) is not a mandatory part of BLE 5.x, but an option.

BLUENRG-M2SA is a module incl antenna based on the BlueNRG-2, which is compliant with BLE 5.0 but does not yet support Long Range. In the newer SoC BlueNRG-LP, a number of improvements were made, including Long Range (Coded PHY).

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

It is often misunderstood that the Long Range Feature (Coded PHY) is not a mandatory part of BLE 5.x, but an option.

BLUENRG-M2SA is a module incl antenna based on the BlueNRG-2, which is compliant with BLE 5.0 but does not yet support Long Range. In the newer SoC BlueNRG-LP, a number of improvements were made, including Long Range (Coded PHY).

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thank you Peter, that cleared it out

path321
Associate II

One last clarification @Peter BENSCH​ , BLUENRG-M2SA doesn't support Long Range (Coded PHY) for both TX and RX, is that correct ?

Correct, BlueNRG-M2SA does not contain the Long Range (Coded PHY) function, it was only implemented in the more recent BlueNRG-LP.

Regards

/Peter