cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL6180X Sensor, device register memory volatility

dere1
Associate

Hi there,

I was wondering if the memory used to save the values in the device registers for the VL6180X sensor are volatile or non-volatile. This would affect how the sensors behaves during a power cycle. Could someone clarify this for me if possible?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

You are correct. There is no volatile memory. At reboot, one loses the I2C address - if it was changed and one loses the calibration information. Restore that and you are good to go.

- john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

The documentation would say what (if any) configuration is non-volatile.

If it's not mentioned, then assume it isn't.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply, 
After a thorough look through the VL6180X datasheet I don't believe it mentions anything about the memory being non-volatile. I'll assume the device registers values are volatile.

John E KVAM
ST Employee

You are correct. There is no volatile memory. At reboot, one loses the I2C address - if it was changed and one loses the calibration information. Restore that and you are good to go.

- john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'