cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L8CX_NB Multi-target mode - settings of 2 or more. RAM Usage and Compile

Paul_Anthony
Associate II

I will be testing out the VL53L8CX_NB, perhaps next week. I notice it has a setting for the number of targets detected per zone. My plan is to have 8x8 setting, so 64 zones. I note the firmware has setting of 1 target per zone. The current setting is strongest target order. 

My plan is to set the target order to nearest and the target number to 2. Will there be sufficient memory RAM for this? With regards to RAM does this mean the host controller, or the TOF sensor device. If the issue is at the host controller end, it should be easier to resolve.

I am hoping just changing this parameter to 2, will be sufficient, for accessing data with regards to 2 targets.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Anthony
Associate II

I have access to a VL53L5, so I was able to test the same API calls and target number settings in the Linux code, on the Raspberry PI. Conclusion, I was overthinking. It will use memory at the host controller end ( more zone data), but the sensor end should be ok. The need to recompile for multiple targets concerned me, however I see if might be beneficial for systems with tight memory constraints.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Paul_Anthony
Associate II

I have access to a VL53L5, so I was able to test the same API calls and target number settings in the Linux code, on the Raspberry PI. Conclusion, I was overthinking. It will use memory at the host controller end ( more zone data), but the sensor end should be ok. The need to recompile for multiple targets concerned me, however I see if might be beneficial for systems with tight memory constraints.