cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L8CX changing the data rate

WeiJia
Associate II

Hi everyone, I am currently using the VL53L8CX for people counting. However, I have encountered an issue where occasionally, changing the data acquisition rate during the data collection process causes a disruption and prevents further data acquisition.

1. How can I dynamically change the acquisition rate during the data collection process?

2. How can I dynamically change the integeration time during the data collection process?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Zhiyuan.Han
ST Employee

Hi Weijia

To change the timing budget or ranging frequency, stop ranging is a must step.

Br

Zhiyuan.Han

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
WeiJia
Associate II

Now,  i do not change the data rate , the data colletion will be disruped too. 

When an error occurs, the status value internally read by the function vl53l8cx_check_data_ready is as follows:

[10:23:28.878] check rdy stat0 i2c sta = 0, regs[4] = 0 0 0 0

[10:23:28.887] check rdy stat0 i2c sta = 0, regs[4] = 0 0 0 0

[10:23:28.887] check rdy stat0 i2c sta = 0, regs[4] = 0 0 0 0

[10:23:28.898] check rdy stat0 i2c sta = 0, regs[4] = 0 0 0 0

[10:23:28.898] check rdy stat0 i2c sta = 0, regs[4] = 0 0 0 0

[10:23:28.906] check rdy stat0 i2c sta = 0, regs[4] = f0 c 62 1

[10:23:28.906] check rdy stat0 i2c sta = 0, regs[4] = f0 c 62 1

[10:23:28.917] check rdy stat0 i2c sta = 0, regs[4] = f0 c 62 1

I have to call the function vl53l8cx_init to recover.

please tell me what happened to the vl53l8x ?!!!!!!

Zhiyuan.Han
ST Employee

Hi Weijia

First glad to hear you are evaluating L8CX for people counting, may I know there is a real project behind or just for studying the feature?

From your email, may I understand your issue is after sensor initiation, sensor can run normally, after a while, no matter you change the ranging frequence or not, sensor will corrupt, right?

Please double check you HW schematic and the API calling sequency, just make sure the sensor can run normally first. 

And then if you want to change the sensor ranging frequency, you can't change ranging frequency when the sensor is running. "stop ranging" is mandatory,

Br

Zhiyuan.Han 

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Zhiyuan

1 Yeah, there is a real project. And now we have a product based on the L8CX for people counting indoor.

2. The sensor can run normally, But sometimes some Hw will corrupt like this. 

3. And now we change the sensor ranging frequency just after the data is ready. Our ranging frequency is 10hz or 15hz. So we think that we have enough time before the next ranging to change the ranging freqency. Is it safe ?

We do not want to stop ranging to get a delay on the ranging.

Best wishes!

weijia

Zhiyuan.Han
ST Employee

Hi Weijia

To change the timing budget or ranging frequency, stop ranging is a must step.

Br

Zhiyuan.Han