cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L5CX How to get initial collected data but not a normal distribution?

Bryce
Associate II

I purchased a  P-NUCLEO-53L5A1 kit and successfully used it to collect data for depth estimation with the help of Quick start guide. But I have noticed that if I used STSW-IMG024, GUI for L5, to get collected data, I would receive a .csv document and it is shown like this:

Bryce_0-1690879011478.png

As I know, from some papers that describe principle of TOF sensors, raw data collected by L5 can be arranged as a HISTOGRAM with 100 bins. So how can I get this HISTOGRAM data (or depth data of each bin) but not just a sigma and median from a fitted normal distribution? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Hello
It is not possible to read out histogram datas from the VL53L5CX. 

ST just introduced two new products from which you will get the histograms. Please have a look to the VL53L7CH and VL53L8CH products.

Regards

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Hello
It is not possible to read out histogram datas from the VL53L5CX. 

ST just introduced two new products from which you will get the histograms. Please have a look to the VL53L7CH and VL53L8CH products.

Regards

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

Thank you so much for this. Best wishes.

Sorry to bother you twice. Could you please tell me the name of the expansion board of VL53L7CH or L8CH? I could hardly find information about this on the website. 

Hello,

You can find them on the product pages in the "tools & software" section :

VL53L7CH - Artificial intelligence enabler, Time-of-Flight 8x8 multizone sensor with 90 degrees FoV (ToF) - STMicroelectronics

VL53L8CH - Artificial intelligence enabler, high performance 8x8 multizone Time-of-Flight sensor - STMicroelectronics

Indeed for the VL53L7CH you can use the VL53L7CX boards.

For the VL53L8CH it is the VL53L8 ones.

Regards

Anne

Hello,

I have already bought an X-NUCLEO-53L8A1 expansion board. Yet I noticed that sensor on it is VL53L8CX, so does that mean I need to take if off the expansion board and buy a new VL53L8CH sensor and then weld it on to the expansion board ?

Hello
No worry. You can use the X-NUCLEO-53L8A1board for your trial for VL53L8CH without any modification.
The board was designed at a time when the VL53L8CH was not available. A super-sensor  is pluggued on the board. We are currently updating the documentation to explicitly say that the X-NUCLEO-53L8A1 can be used to evaluate VL53L8CX and VL53L8CH.

Thank you for your interest on our product,
Regards

Thank you so much for this. But I still have a little more question. Now, which document or guidance for X-NUCLEO-53L8A1 should I follow in order to get histogram data ?

Hello,
You can use the STSW-IMG043 package here.
This package is linked on the VL53L8CH page in the tools and software section.

Regards
Anne

Thanks. I have read about these documents and got some sample data. Still, I have noticed that in the .csv document, CNH histogram data is like this: 

Bryce_0-1691311845684.png

I have known the principle of aggregate from documents above. Yet I found no information about the unit of these data. So what is the unit of these data?