cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Range sigma of VL53L5CX is too low

Yli.9
Associate II

Hi,

I have read the tutorial and document about VL53L5CX. It says that the distance of targets and the range sigma are extracted from histogram by assuming a normal distribution (the distance and range sigma are the mean and standard variance of the distribution, respectively). However, i find the returned range sigma is always much lower than the actual ones. For example, the returned sigma rarely exceed 5 cm, but the actual sigma may be 2-5 times, which means that it is usually larger than 10 cm, and can even reach 20-30 cm.

I test this by seting up a device suit which align L5 and a high-resolution depth sensor (RealSense D435 which have a depth resolution of 640x480). 

What is the reason behind this? Are there some post-processing algorithms, if yes, could you brifely describe how they work, so maybe i could recover the real standard variance which is important in my research.

Many thanks,

Yijin.

3 REPLIES 3
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Hello,

Your question has been addressed internally. We will come back to you as soon as possible.

Regards

Anne

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

Thank you 🙂

I have sent the collected data to John. Hope it helps.

Hi, is there anything else that I can do to help?