cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L5/VL53L8 Histogram, Multi-target Nearest and Strongest detection order, peak thresholding

Paul_Anthony
Associate II

I am experimenting with the VL53L5/VL53L8 sensors. 

For multi-target there are the options of target order of strongest and nearest. This is not a difficult concept.

However, I am curious about the algorithm for detecting the peaks in the histogram. I assume there must be some thresholding, so small peaks caused by noise(?) are ignored. I can't see a way to set the threshold, however I see this being difficult, better different thresholds work for different ambient light levels, light noise levels etc...

After some quick experiments, I haven't seen any problems. Using nearest rather than strongest target order, may be more sensitive to noise conditions. Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

The key points to know are:

1. the FW contains a proprietary algorithm pipe to process the histogram
  2. the processing will account for ambient (noise threshold)
  3. the processing pipe will account for false target due to xtalk
  4. the processing pipe will try to separate close targets (>300mm) into two discrete targets

closest or strongest is largely up to you and is usecase dependent. Sometimes they will be the same target.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

The key points to know are:

1. the FW contains a proprietary algorithm pipe to process the histogram
  2. the processing will account for ambient (noise threshold)
  3. the processing pipe will account for false target due to xtalk
  4. the processing pipe will try to separate close targets (>300mm) into two discrete targets

closest or strongest is largely up to you and is usecase dependent. Sometimes they will be the same target.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'