cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L5/L7/L8 user-defined ROI

lukaskn
Associate II

Hi All,
currently, we are using the VL53L1 ToF-Sensor im some of our products, which will be replaced with the VL53L5- and L7 sensor. Unfortunately, there is no support of user-defined ROIs in the ULD.

Since in our application, a full, square-shaped frame is not always needed, 8x2 and 8x4 modes would be useful to transmit less data as well as to  achieve a shorter on-time of the VCSEL or geht a higher acquisition rate.
Is ST planning to add such functionalities in future version of the ULD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

No, we aren't going to change it - and I'll tell you why.

The sensor works by illuminating the entire Field of View and collecting the photons. So there is really no advantage to limiting the area. 

Granted we could save some i2C transmission time, but at the expense of complexity. And the sensor is complex enough. 

We do put some defines in the platform.h to help eliminate any data you don't want, but we limit the amount of data sent for each zone, but not the number of zones.

- john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

No, we aren't going to change it - and I'll tell you why.

The sensor works by illuminating the entire Field of View and collecting the photons. So there is really no advantage to limiting the area. 

Granted we could save some i2C transmission time, but at the expense of complexity. And the sensor is complex enough. 

We do put some defines in the platform.h to help eliminate any data you don't want, but we limit the amount of data sent for each zone, but not the number of zones.

- john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.