cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I run VL53L0X sensor with STM32F407VG Discovery development board?

MTURAN
Associate

Hello, I'm currently trying to run the VL53L0X sensor on the STM32f407VG Discovery development board. I am able to measure distance with a ready-made library I found on the internet. But these measurements are very noisy, and I get an error value of 8190 after measuring 120cm. I'm not doing any calibration because I don't know how to do it. Can you help me?

If you wish, I can share the library I use and my main.c code.

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The VL53L0X has a max range of 2M. But the range you get will depend on the size and reflectivity of you target. At 120cm, the spot size of the illumination is 60cm in diameter. If your target is smaller than that and not very refletive, you might start seeing data with a 'no signal' reading.

I'm going to guess you didn't do anything wrong.

you can see a hand to about 60cm, and you will be able spot people to about 1.5m.

Is that what you get??

normal cardboard is 50% reflective.

Black paint is 5% reflective.

White printer paper is 88% reflecitve,

Use targets like these to see where you stop ranging.

Remember that the target needs to be 1/2 the size of the range in diameter or you are not filling the entrire field of view.

If you can range to 2M while pointing at a 1M diagonal circle of 88% white printer paper, you will be doing as well as the sensor can.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.