cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble getting the stm vl53lx driver working on RPI

DCamp.5
Associate II

Hi - I can't seem to get the driver to compile on a RPi 3+..

Grateful for any assistance !!

This is the error message I get:

pi@raspberrypi:~/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx $ make VL53LX_FULL_KERNEL=1

CONFIG_STMVL53LX=m make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=$PWD

make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.10.17-v7+'

CC [M] /home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx_module.o

In file included from /home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx_module.c:49:

/home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx.h:208:17: error: field ‘start_tv’ has incomplete type

struct timeval start_tv;/*!< stream start time */

^~~~~~~~

/home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx.h:240:18: error: field ‘start_tv’ has incomplete type

struct timeval start_tv;

^~~~~~~~

/home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx.h:241:18: error: field ‘comp_tv’ has incomplete type

struct timeval comp_tv;

^~~~~~~

/home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx_module.c: In function ‘st_gettimeofday’:

/home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx_module.c:103:4: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ‘struct timeval’

tv->tv_sec = now.tv_sec;

^~

/home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx_module.c: In function ‘stmvl53lx_intr_process’:

/home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx_module.c:2414:17: error: storage size of ‘tv_now’ isn’t known

struct timeval tv_now;

^~~~~~

/home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx_module.c:2414:17: warning: unused variable ‘tv_now’ [-Wunused-variable]

/home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx_module.c: In function ‘stmvl53lx_input_push_data_multiobject’:

/home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx_module.c:2508:17: error: storage size of ‘tv’ isn’t known

struct timeval tv;

^~

/home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx_module.c:2508:17: warning: unused variable ‘tv’ [-Wunused-variable]

make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:279: /home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx/stmvl53lx_module.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [Makefile:1804: /home/pi/VL53L3CX_LinuxDriver_1.0.5_bare_1.2.4/driver/vl53Lx] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.10.17-v7+'

make: *** [Makefile:8: default] Error 2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Well it sure looks like you were right.

And it took my team a bit to solve it.

They had to rework a bit the deprecated timeval structure to make it work in both old kernel and 5.10.X

I2c_new_device function has been deprecated too, the modified files use i2c_new_client_device

Future releases will include these changes

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Something is really odd. I downloaded a fresh copy of STSW_IMG0021 and looked for start_tv.

it's not in there. Nor are there any instances of "_tv".

So I'm very confused.

I might consider starting over with a fresh download.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
DCamp.5
Associate II

Hi John, thanks I did as you suggested but still have the same error. As per the error messages - most of these reference can be found in stmvl53l.h

John E KVAM
ST Employee

0693W00000DmaMQQAZ.pngSeems there is a known problem compiling struct timeval with 5.x kernels:

https://github.com/draios/sysdig/issues/1609

I'm going to investigate what to do about it. I have not run across this before.

John E KVAM
ST Employee

Well it sure looks like you were right.

And it took my team a bit to solve it.

They had to rework a bit the deprecated timeval structure to make it work in both old kernel and 5.10.X

I2c_new_device function has been deprecated too, the modified files use i2c_new_client_device

Future releases will include these changes

Awesome - thanks for the support!