cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking the illumination mode of VL53L8CH.

Jsc
Associate II

As far as I know, dToF has two illumination modes. One is spot dToF (iPhone) and the other is flood illumination. Which one is VL53L8CH? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

All the DToF chips from ST use a flood-type illumination. The VL53L8CH uses a VCSEL with a native output of a 27-degree cone, and a diffuser that spreads the light into a 45-degree pyramid of light.  

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
John E KVAM
ST Employee

All the DToF chips from ST use a flood-type illumination. The VL53L8CH uses a VCSEL with a native output of a 27-degree cone, and a diffuser that spreads the light into a 45-degree pyramid of light.  

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

Sorry about late reply. Thanks for your answer. I have another question that "a VCSEL" means single VCSEL unit or a VSCEL array? Thanks.

John E KVAM
ST Employee

Let's try to open a new topic once an answer has been accepted.  

But to answer your question the Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser is a chip that consists of several cells and each cell emits light. On the VL53L0, L1 and L3 there are 4 such cells. On the VL53L4 which uses a different (single stage) cell there are almost a dozen. I don't know how many cells there are on the L8 though. But the answer is one tiny chip with multiple cells on it integrated into the module.

- john