cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NanoEdgeAIStudio : is it possible to log ultrasounds ? (STWINKT1B)

anthonyADV
Associate II

Hi, 

I am using NanoEdgeAIStudio to detect anomalies on microphone signal. I am particularly interested in logging ultrasounds (from 20kHz to 100kHz). 

I used the Datalogger tool (in NanoEdgeAIStudio) to set up the datalogger and generate the neai_datalog.bin file. In this tool, I have noticed the only microphone available is "MP23ABS1" (see the screenshot below). I have read MP23ABS1's doc, though it is not clear to me if it is able to log ultrasounds ? Can you clarify this pls

anthonyADV_1-1706803687465.png

Also, I have read STWINKT1B's doc and I know there is also microphone IMP23ABSU (for ultrasounds, with a bandwidth up to 80kHz, as indicated in the doc). I would prefer to use IMP23ABSU instead of MP23ABS1 to log the data in NanoEdgeAIStudio. Is that possible  ?

To clarify, I would like to collect data from microphone IMP23ABSU (using the tool "import signal" and "from serial (USB)", as below). So far, I set up a project using sensor type "Microphone sensor 1 axis", ODR=100000Hz, sample size=4096, and I succeeded in logging microphone data... data show up in "serial output", but I am not sure which microphone the data come from. Do you have any idea ?

anthonyADV_2-1706804921863.png

Thanks 

Anthony 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SimonePradolini
ST Employee

Hello @anthonyADV 

Thanks for your feedback. I suppose there is a graphical issue there that I can report internally to be solved easily. Let me do a brief recap.

STWINKT1B mounts 2 microphones: MP34DT05 (digital microphone) and IMP23ABSU (ultrasound analog microphone. MP23ABS1 is instead the analog mic part number available on STWINKT1, the previous version of the STEVAL board.

MP23ABS1 is not available on STWINKT1B: by selecting MP23ABS1 tab you are enabling the unique analog ultrasound microphone available on the board. It is only a matter of wrong name in the widget, but I can guarantee that you are working with the expected ultrasound microphone.

Just a further comment: natively IMP23ABSU supported sampling frequencies are 16, 32, 48, 96 and 192KHz. To fully exploit sensor capabilities, please consider to log it at the maximum sample rate available in the tool.

Best regards

Simone

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SimonePradolini
ST Employee

Hello @anthonyADV 

Thanks for your feedback. I suppose there is a graphical issue there that I can report internally to be solved easily. Let me do a brief recap.

STWINKT1B mounts 2 microphones: MP34DT05 (digital microphone) and IMP23ABSU (ultrasound analog microphone. MP23ABS1 is instead the analog mic part number available on STWINKT1, the previous version of the STEVAL board.

MP23ABS1 is not available on STWINKT1B: by selecting MP23ABS1 tab you are enabling the unique analog ultrasound microphone available on the board. It is only a matter of wrong name in the widget, but I can guarantee that you are working with the expected ultrasound microphone.

Just a further comment: natively IMP23ABSU supported sampling frequencies are 16, 32, 48, 96 and 192KHz. To fully exploit sensor capabilities, please consider to log it at the maximum sample rate available in the tool.

Best regards

Simone

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @SimonePradolini, thanks for your quick reply and advice ! 

About sampling frequencies, do you mean I should set up "data rate (Hz) : 192000" in the data logger tool ? Cause it seems the maximum sample rate I can set up is 100kHz. 

anthonyADV_1-1707123183977.png

Besides, just to make you know, I have also noticed MP23ABS1 is mentionned :

- in STEVAL-STWINKT1B's documentation. In the table, M1 is correct (IMP23ABSU) but I suspect it's the wrong name (MP23ABS1) in the circuit design just below) ;

anthonyADV_0-1707120962705.png

- in the following github repo stm32ai-nanoedge-datalogger :

anthonyADV_2-1707121550485.png

I guess it should be IMP23ABSU in both of these instead ? 

Thank you again and have a nice day !

Anthony

Hello @anthonyADV 

same issue, you're right.

Thanks for your feedbacks, we'll take the needed actions.

Best regards

Simone