cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Boolean operators and wildcards in searches

Lina DABASINSKAITE
Community manager
Community manager

The following Boolean operators can be used to include or exclude search terms in the search box of ST community:

• The OR operator is a default option. To search for one of the following search terms “Flash” or “MCU”, use the query: Flash MCU or Flash OR MCU. The search engine also runs this operation with the II symbol: Flash II MCU.
  • The AND operator checks for all defined terms in the text of a single content. To search for content with both “Flash” and “MCU” terms, use the query: Flash AND MCU. The search engine also runs this type of query with the && symbol: Flash && MCU.
  • The + operator creates a requirement in which the term after the + symbol must be included in search results. If the content must contain “Flash” but may contain “MCU”, use the following query: +Flash MCU.
  • The - operator creates a requirement in which the term after the - symbol is excluded from search results. If the content should not contain “Flash” but may contain “MCU”, use the following query: -Flash MCU.

Wildcard searches allow finding single terms that differ by one character or the same string of characters (this does not apply for phrase queries).

• To perform a single character wildcard search, use the ? symbol. For example, to search for “LIST” or “LOST” you can enter in the search box: l?st.
  • To perform a multiple character wildcard search, use the * symbol. For example, to search for the content with multiple variations, like board, boards or boarders, enter in the search box: board*.

Related article: How to search - STMicroelectronics Community

Comments
BarryWhit
Senior III

Related article: How to search - STMicroelectronics Community

That article appears under FAQs/Searching, but it does not link to this "advanced" post. Consider listing this post under "FAQs/Searching" as well.

Update:

I also remind those who come here that they can use any major search engine to perform a search which is limited to this website. This allows you to take advantage of any query language features they offer (it's well worth seeking out the docs for those). All you need to do is include the (standard) "site:https://community.st.com/" operator in the search query.

For example:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site:https://community.st.com/+intitle:"module"

The AND operator checks for all defined terms in the text of a single content. To search for content with both “Flash” and “MCU” terms, use the query: Flash AND MCU. The search engine also runs this type of query with the && symbol: Flash && MCU.

Okay, so

waclawekjan_0-1720343881532.png

should result in the same as if I replace AND by &&, right?

waclawekjan_1-1720343931302.png

which is obviously a different result.

Now I'm a seasoned user of crappy products, so I quickly realized that:

waclawekjan_2-1720344026399.png

Nonetheless, it's a bug (BUG #1).

But what's a worse bug is, that the search does not work at all: in the second result, there is no occurence of "STM32F410" nor of "DAC".  (BUG #2).

JW

Lina DABASINSKAITE
Community manager
Community manager

Hello,

@BarryWhit , thanks for the note. The article is now part of the How to search - STMicroelectronics Community too. 

@waclawek.jan , thanks for sharing your findings. Let me know look into this and get back. 

Version history
Last update:
‎2024-07-03 11:22 AM
Updated by:
Contributors