cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the board important for the AVAS project?

aozba.1
Associate II

Hi, i have a AEK-AUD-D903V1 evaluation board and i want to make a simple AVAS project. I don't have any board with SPC582Bx microcontroller board. Can I implement this application to stm32 board ? if i can, how should i progress ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Max VIZZINI
ST Employee

Hi.

I am not sure what is your target of "simple AVAS project", because there is already a simple AVAS demo available on the board. If you connect the DC supply and the two speakers, it sufficient to press the play/mute button on top and you shall hear engine start and engine drive sound.

An external board (like AEK-MCU-C4MLIT1) is required only to use CAN connection and send messages to increase/decrease engine rpm and volume.

Another alternative is to use a slider (AEK-CON-C1D9031) to perform the same actions. In this case you need to modify the code (change a #define definition) in the SPC582B hosted on the AEK-AUD-C1D9031.

To modify the code in SPC582B hosted by AEK-AUD-C1D9031 you need to use a JTAG programmer SPC5-UDESTK.

STM32 is industrial-grade and not automotive-grade like SPC582B. In principle you can develop all the drivers and application also for STM32 but in this case you have to re-do everything from scratch (maybe also hardware) and you cannot use AutoDevKit.

I hope it helps.

Max

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Max VIZZINI
ST Employee

Hi.

I am not sure what is your target of "simple AVAS project", because there is already a simple AVAS demo available on the board. If you connect the DC supply and the two speakers, it sufficient to press the play/mute button on top and you shall hear engine start and engine drive sound.

An external board (like AEK-MCU-C4MLIT1) is required only to use CAN connection and send messages to increase/decrease engine rpm and volume.

Another alternative is to use a slider (AEK-CON-C1D9031) to perform the same actions. In this case you need to modify the code (change a #define definition) in the SPC582B hosted on the AEK-AUD-C1D9031.

To modify the code in SPC582B hosted by AEK-AUD-C1D9031 you need to use a JTAG programmer SPC5-UDESTK.

STM32 is industrial-grade and not automotive-grade like SPC582B. In principle you can develop all the drivers and application also for STM32 but in this case you have to re-do everything from scratch (maybe also hardware) and you cannot use AutoDevKit.

I hope it helps.

Max

aozba.1
Associate II

What do you mean by play/mute buttons? There is no button on the AEK-AUD-D903V1 ​​board.

then, as I understand it's almost impossible to use FDA903V1 amplifier with stm32f407 board.

Max VIZZINI
ST Employee

This button:

0693W00000QMcYxQAL.png

Max VIZZINI
ST Employee

If you want to work with other microcontrollers including STM32, you need to use AEK-AUD-D9031 containing only the FDA903D audio amplifier with the MCU discovery but you need to build the entire code stack by yourself because we do not support it.

Regards,

Max

aozba.1
Associate II

0693W00000QMcqDQAT.jpg 

The board I mentioned was already the model containing only FDA903D.

I thought it would be enough to configure the AEK-AUD-D903V1.c driver for STM32. Could you tell me what else I need to change?

Max VIZZINI
ST Employee

Hi,

The AEK-AUD-D903V1 requires I2C for configuration and I2S for audio sampling.

So, you need to make sure you configure both ports and protocols according to the FDA903 requirements. I am not familiar, but I suppose that also I2S needs to be simulated because not native, therefore you need a driver to implement I2S, e.g. using SPI.

Other issues are related to the real-time operation, the MCU has to keep the 44.1kHz speed for sending audio data while performing all the other actions in parallel, e.g. monitoring fault conditions. And obviously all this depends on the different MCU performances that you will consider.

Another issue is related to the flash memory we use for sound storage. You need to find an alternative storage. Consider that 1 MB of flash is just enough for around 1 sec audio samples and code, unless you decide to implement a more advance audio compression algorithm.

In my opinion, in this specific Audio case, it is not a trivial job to take a driver from SPC582B and re-adapt it for STM32, considering that we took several months to be able to get a proper working application.

You are welcome to try, but I am afraid I would not be able to help you much further.

Wouldn't it be much simpler to use SPC582B (AEK-MCU-C1MLIT1) where you have basic code ready and you only need to customize it for your purpose?

0693W00000QMgdmQAD.png