cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLDC&PMSM motor controller design 48V, 50A

Jana
Associate II

I am interested in design and development of BLDC&PMSM controller for Electric vehicle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Max VIZZINI
ST Employee

Together with employing automotive grade components, a vehicle requires level of safety at different levels. For example the traction portion should be an ASIL-D. Therefore you need duplication, and thus an "MCU do it all" is impossible...

Another important point is the distinction between a BLDC motor control evaluation kit and a traction inverter solution, despite both have BLDC motor driving as core technology. The algorithm and design for a traction inverter has to be customized in several points: the motor employed parameters, the current sensing path and even the control method.

For sure, our 3-phase motor control kit based on SPC5 together with our motor control library are a good starting point for your development but they cannot be considered as the final traction inverter you are looking for.

Developing modules for Electric Vehicles is very R&D intensive,.. life is never easy! 😅

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Max VIZZINI
ST Employee

Thank you for your question and your interest in ST products. 👍

We have not yet integrated a BLDC motor control solution in AutoDevKit, but you can access our available automotive grade demo kit SPC5-MCTK-01

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/evaluation-tools/product-evaluation-tools/mcu-mpu-eval-tools/spc5-automotive-mcu-eval-tools/spc5-mctk-01.html

Jana
Associate II

thanks for sharing the info. i was checking ST product portfolio and come across the STEVAL-SPIN3202 for the BLDC motor controller. i would like to know the details of the STEVAL-SPIN3202 -- max peak current withstanding capability and any demo project for the BLDC motor controller with trapezoidal and FOC available.

Max VIZZINI
ST Employee

In ST we have various motor driving solutions for BLDC motors, so we need to first understand your target:

• Automotive grade solution: it is the one I have already proposed with SPC5-MCTK-01 kit
  • Industrial grade solution:
    • Discrete with maximum flexibility: STM8 / STM32 + Drivers + Transistors + motor control library
    • Low voltage integrated solution like STSPIN32F0A

This community is dedicated to Automotive grade solutions, while if you are looking for Industrial solutions, you can consult the following communities: Power Management and Motor Control, STM32 and STM8 or contact our sales and distributors in your area.

The STEVAL-SPIN3202 is designed for sensored or sensorless vector control - FOC and six-step algorithms with single shunt sensing, as described in the page. In the same page you can find that is made for 15Arms. if you need different current rate you need to change the transistors and re-tune power design.

Additional information about the key controller STSPIN32F0A are here.

Please take advantage of all the documentations available online, including datasheets/databriefs, schematics, application notes / user manuals.

Hello Mr. Max,

Thanks for your valuable reply.

My target is automotive grade and

application which i am working is Electric vehicle.

For Beginning the prototype i am looking the module control strategy and with minimum cost involvement that is the reason for looking the STEVAL-SPIN might be suitable for the prototype.

Thanks for your hint where i can check the STM32 related stuff.

i have one question, is the SPC5 Evaluation kit as combination of the complete Electric traction solution ?. what i mean is one controller SPC5 will support motor controller, batter management, vehicle control, ect.,

Thanks

Max VIZZINI
ST Employee

Together with employing automotive grade components, a vehicle requires level of safety at different levels. For example the traction portion should be an ASIL-D. Therefore you need duplication, and thus an "MCU do it all" is impossible...

Another important point is the distinction between a BLDC motor control evaluation kit and a traction inverter solution, despite both have BLDC motor driving as core technology. The algorithm and design for a traction inverter has to be customized in several points: the motor employed parameters, the current sensing path and even the control method.

For sure, our 3-phase motor control kit based on SPC5 together with our motor control library are a good starting point for your development but they cannot be considered as the final traction inverter you are looking for.

Developing modules for Electric Vehicles is very R&D intensive,.. life is never easy! 😅

Jana
Associate II

thanks ans understood that SPC5 cant do all the E-traction requirement. reason for modular is to get an experience of all the sub modules and integration to achieve the traction requirement.

i know its very tuff for the starting, even though i would like to sail and see with your supports.