cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the B-L462E-CELL1 cellular MQTT example working?

Clark Sann
Senior

I downloaded the en.x-cube-cellular.zip and unziped the folder STM32CubeExpansion_CELLULAR_V5.2.0. I then installed the changes to upgrade to V5.2.1.

I imported the project into CubeIDE and found the MQTT sample was not imported. I then tried to follow the mqtt readme.txt where i have to "Remove 'Exclude from build' option for the following components of the IART project". That note is not too helpful because, as far as I can tell, there are no excluded files that I can include.

Anyone know how to get MQTT working for this DISCO board?

5 REPLIES 5
Ons KOOLI
Senior III

Hi Clark Sann,

I checked the X-CUBE-CELLULAR and did not find any MQTT examples. Maybe you are looking for the X-CUBE-CLD-GEN instead ?

Best Regards,

Ons.

Clark Sann
Senior

Hi Ons,

I do see MQTT .h and .c files in STM32CubeExpansion_CELLULAR_V5.2.0/Middlewares/ST/STM32_Cellular/Samples/MQTT. But when I import the project and then select the project for the L462E-CELL, the MQTT files are not installed. There is even that README that tells you how to fix the problem, but it makes no sense.

If I recall correctly, the wiki for CELLULAR says MQTT is not installed and points to that readme.

The DISCO board I am using,  B-L462E-CELL1, refers to the CELLULAR cube expansion, not the CLD-GEN. I think CLD-GEN is for older cellular boards. This board is very new. It may be that CLD_GEN can be used with it, but it will probably be a more difficult task than getting the CELLULAR expansion working.

Thank you for your assistance!

Clark

Hi Clark,

After checking the X-CUBE-CELLULAR package, I checked the Demonstration corresponding to the B_L462E.

I opened the project with IAR and with STM32CubeIDE.

In IAR, I followed the readme and everything described there exists in the project and user can do all configurations described. At first view, this is not applicable for CubeIDE, Unfortunately. Since the readme file specifies that it is written for IAR IDE. I will re-check this internally, and provide you with feedbacks.

Best Regards,

Ons.

Clark Sann
Senior

Hello Ons

Thank you for looking into this for me.

I have tried to add MQTT to the project but was ultimately unsuccessful. There seemed to be a number of missing files. I suppose that was why the developers did not simply mark the folders to be ignored for build. I'm guessing the firmware was rushed a bit.

But I have a much bigger problem now. I received my B-L462E-CELL1 yesterday morning and I have been unable to get it to register with Truphone. I have activated the sim and Truphone confirms everything is good in that area. But the terminal shows REGISTRATION_DENIED over and over again. I have talked to Truphone but all they could say is make sure the apn is "iot.truphone.com". I looked around in the menus and the apn was set to "". I set it but it still did not work. I wonder if the default setting is wrong in some other ways?

I have also tried and failed to get information from Murata.

I am running out of ideas. Do you have any suggestions on where I can go to obtain help in getting this thing to properly register with Truphone?

Clark

Hi Clark,

Well, After checking with the dev team, they confirmed that MQTT is only supported for IAR. However porting it to another IDE is not complicated. You have just to add the missing parts of MQTT on the existing project.

Let keep this question for the first part of your comment. As I was informed, you can get the MQTT App running in the STM32CubeIDE. So, please if you have an issue in doing this, share it here with me.

For the second part of your comment:

> But I have a much bigger problem now. I received my B-L462E-CELL1 yesterday morning and I have been unable to get it to register with Truphone. I have activated the sim and Truphone confirms everything is good in that area. But the terminal shows REGISTRATION_DENIED over and over again. I have talked to Truphone but all they could say is make sure the apn is "iot.truphone.com". I looked around in the menus and the apn was set to "". I set it but it still did not work. I wonder if the default setting is wrong in some other ways?

I have also tried and failed to get information from Murata.

I am running out of ideas. Do you have any suggestions on where I can go to obtain help in getting this thing to properly register with Truphone?

I propose for you to open a new question for this claim. This will help other people having the same issue as yours to go directly to the solution.

Please, in both cases, do not forget to mark the question as answered, after getting a response to your claim, by checking Select as Best.

Best Regards,

Ons.