cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is BER testing on STEVAL-IDB008V1M possible?

RSnel.2
Associate

I have carried out some tests on the STEVAL-IDB008V1M. In the tests I have tested how BER is affected range, interference and objects.

I achieved this by transmitting hardcoded data, so on the receiver side, I knew the correct data and compared every bit of the received signal to the correct data. From what I can see the testing worked as I expected. I used the example code from "Throughput" from BlueNRG-1_2 DK as base in my testing, with some modifications. The example code uses the following function to receive data: HAL_RADIO_ReceivePacketWithAck(channel, RX_WAKEUP_TIME, receivedData, sendAckData, RX_TIMEOUT, RxCallback), and I use the same.

After the tests were done, I asked someone else to check the result I got and he brought up some interesting thoughts. The information I got was that CRC is usually checked at hardware level, so if an error occurs it should not be visible in the layers above, since it doesn´t forward incorrect packets to the higher layers. Now I´m a little confused, since the BER seemed to be calculated correctly in the test, but according to I should not be able to calculate the BER in the software.

So my questions are, can my testing be correct? Is the CRC really done in the hardware level, and if so, can the error packets still be seen by upper layers on BlueNRG-M2SA?

0 REPLIES 0