cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE v1.5.1 upgrade issues?

TJM
Senior

Just upgraded my STM32CubeIde v1.3.1 (IIRC) to v1.5.1 from within the IDE using the "Help", "check for updates" option. Updated without issue, I can load and compile my projects but the debugger won't run with a 'null pointer exception' error. If I burn the binary to the board, it works as expected, with or without the debugger info. I noticed that the plugin directory has a LOT of duplicate files both early and late versions, a lot of the permissions are different and I suspect they're not correct. Removing the earlier copies cause the CubeIDE not to start, with errors. Importing the old dirs into the V1.5.1 workspace has everything working nicely and maybe this should be the recommended way to install the upgrade (new install).

The two questions I have are, 'why is this incompatibility not listed in the upgrade notes' and 'what needs to be done for the installed version from the 'check for updates' option to fix the debugger, or any other issues I may have not gotten to, yet?

thanks,

tjm

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

OS? There have been quite a few threads on issues upgrading to 1.5.1. I haven't seen any advice other than "uninstall and try again".

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
TJM
Senior

OS? Debian Linux v10.7.

Downloaded the 17 page v1.5.1 release notes. Coulda' cut it to 'Make a new install', and a page of errata.

The new install works just fine so I shouldn't complain other than wasting a bit of time juggling files and changing permissions. It would just be nice to know 'why' parts of the upgrade won't work.

>STM32CubeIDE 1.5.1 released

>STM32CubeIDE 1.5.1 was released this week as an in-tool update patch. This is a bug >fix release.

>Caution: The in-tool update does not allow updating drivers and ST-LINK server >tool. Full installer is required for this.

I will look into this Cautionary note, though.

TJM

TDK
Guru

Well that's dumb. An update that can't update things.

Thanks for reporting back with the info.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
TJM
Senior

The fresh install works fine but I just feel like if I knew what the issue was with the IDE internal update then I could resolve some other issues in the future. Anyway, the 'drivers and ST-LINK server>tool' not updating looks like a possibility. The fresh install obviously has the correct versions but those updated versions are not found by the original IDE upgrade.

It works, it's free and I'm happy for both.