cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open the ***.eww file (IAR Workbench project) with the STM32CubeIDE program?

YGEUM.1
Associate

I want to open the ***.eww file with STM32CubeIDE program.

And compile and debugging.

How to open the ***.eww file with STMRECubeIDE program?

3 REPLIES 3
mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi,

The EWARM workspace and project files uses their native project format. It is not known by Eclipse/CDT/STM32CubeIDE. So this is not possible.

If the workspace/project you want to open is from an ST provided example projects, then there should be STM32CubeIDE or SW4STM32 or TrueSTUDIO provided examples in the package which can be imported. But I assume this is not the case.

Best practice to "import" an EWARM workspace/project would be to instead start a new workspace/project from scratch in CubeIDE. Either an Empty or STM32Cube project. Your preference really... Maybe you can then drag-drop resources across and try to compare the build settings to make sure include paths/symbols and other flags are set correctly. It is a bit time consuming. If you are experienced with Eclipse it may take 1-2h to port this workspace/project depending on the size of course.

What you need to take care about is that startup code and linker script cannot be copied across from IAR to CubeIDE since the toolchains are totally different. Also compiler intrinsics and inline assembly need to be ported. But if sticking exclusively to C/C++ the effort is not so high.

YGEUM.1
Associate

Thanks for answer.

But I must convert from "the IAR Embedded Workbench IDE - Arm 8.40.2" to "the STM32CubeIDE" tools for my company.

Could you teach more the converting sequence?

Thank you.

mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi,

What is your confidence level in CubeIDE? Absolute beginner? Advanced user or somewhere in between? Difficult to guide without knowing the context...

We have a User Guide pdf for CubeIDE for the steps below I suggest you look at various chapter in this manual to get detailed guidance:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/dm00629856-stm32cubeide-user-guide-stmicroelectronics.pdf

I think the best available document on migration from IAR still is this:

http://info.atollic.com/hubfs/IAR_2_Atollic_TrueSTUDIO_MigrationGuide_ARM.pdf

This document however covers IAR --> TrueSTUDIO. CubeIDE is in this respect however very similar to TrueSTUDIO so the majority of content is till true.

To summarize what needs to be done, you can approach this activity like this:

1. First ask yourself whether you want to use STM32CubeMX or not to manage your project resources (HAL / IP init). If answer is:
  • Yes: Go for File > New > STM32 Project > in the wizard select Project STM32Cube
  • No: Go for File > New > STM32 Project > in the wizard select Project Empty
  1. Copy all the c/h-files across from IAR project to TruesTUDIO project
  2. Setup the include paths (Read UG)
  3. Setup defines (Read UG)
  4. Add any necessary libraries (Read UG)
  5. Check if there is any compiler intrinsics or inline assmebly which is IAR specific and not understood by GCC.
    1. If true, then effort can be much higher: Look at the link to the IAR --> TrueSTUDIO doc above, chapter 3.
  6. Startup code and linker script. If you are doing anything specific with respect to external memories, using boot loaders, crc-checks, etc you may have to modify startup code and linker script as well.

I would try to build the project after step4 just to see how many build errors I get and use that to guide the remaining work.

It is hard to elaborate more, each project / environment and related requirements are a bit unique so there will always be specific needs...

Kind regards, Mattias