cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEVAL-ISV020V1 - Absolute value for input voltage

GAbi .1
Associate II

Hi,

In the evaluation board of SPV1050 (STEVAL-ISV020V1), it is mentionned that the maximum voltage from the PV cell (VMP) is to be equal 9V, but there is no indication about the absolute values that I can be supported without damaging the board.

I'm working with a PV cell having an open circuit voltage of 9.6V with a voltage at the maximum power point of 9.2V.

Would you think under these conditions, the evaluation board will be damaged ?

Thank you for your reply.

Georgina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Don't worry, the 9.5V is just 500mV outside the recommended range for which the MPPT is optimized.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

No, it doesn't get damaged.

The databrief of the STEVAL-ISV020V1 mentiones at the first page under features:

• Input voltage working range: 150mV =< Vin =< 18V

In addition you can find in the datasheet of the SPV1050 for IN_HV the absolute max rating of 20V.

The 9V you mentioned was probably that statement from the databrief of the STEVAL-ISV020V1:

The STEVAL-ISV020V1 board is optimized to:

• Harvest energy from PV panels supplying 2.6V =< VMP =< 9V and 10µA =< IMP =<20mA
  • Charge a battery with the 3.7 V undervoltage protection threshold (VUVP) and 4.2 V end of charge voltage threshold (VEOC).

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
GAbi .1
Associate II

Thank you Peter for your answer.

And yes I meant the part where the STEVAL-IS020V1 board is optimized to:

• Harvest energy from PV panels supplying 2.6V =< VMP =< 9V

Since I'm not going to change anything in the board for the first step (resistors or capacitor) so I am not going to extend the features of the charge controller to 18V maximum input.

Shouldn't I just follow the limitation of the board ? if it is mentioned maximum of 9V, I was wondering if 9.5V would damage it.

Thank you so much for your patience and help.

Georgina

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Don't worry, the 9.5V is just 500mV outside the recommended range for which the MPPT is optimized.

/Peter