cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does creating an empty project not add header files

Adam Hamilton
Associate III

Regarding the Cube IDE, when generating an empty project, is there any reason why the CMSIS header files are not included / added to the project directory?

As for the purists out there who might be thinking that empty means empty �� there are five files that get included with the empty project.

• Several .c files
  • An assembler start up file
  • Linker script

Could I please request that maybe a future revision of the Cube IDE copy over and update the include paths for empty projects as well

I should also add that the version of Cube IDE I use is 1.4.2 running in Ubuntu 20.04 Linux

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
KnarfB
Principal III

As a workaround you might create a STM32Cube project, delete the HAL and .ioc files, and remove the reference to hal in main.h (or delete main.? too)

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

Another way is to import a FW pack template. For example myself working on STM32F746ZG-Nucleo board I rely on STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.16.0\Projects\STM32F746ZG-Nucleo\Templates

Cheers, this is great if the MCU is part of an official board.

Anyway, I hope this can get rectified soon because it seems like something that should intuitively be included with an empty project.

Seems like it was an oversight from the Cube Dev team but I don't know if there is any channel to communicate feature requests to be picked up by the dev team

Within banner of such forum page you have an "idea zone". I guess here is right place to share ... let's have a try !

About "Template" examples fact is they are part of a dedicated board project structure but they are quite mcu agnostic (serie related only obviously). Only BSP include is board dedicated and most probably useless to you. In case of my F7 example all pointed ressources are stm32f7xx*.*. At least all such is helpful to me.