cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to map peripheral memory on stm32mp157c

TLamm.1
Associate

I'm developing an IoT device for a customer and I have an external Bluetooth SoC connected to the ST's MCU via UART. The BT SoC shares its UART Tx pin with reset functionality so I need to develop a driver to momentarily turn the UART to GPIO mode to reset the device followed by return to UART mode to carry on with the communication.

As a first step I'm doing a Proof of Concept -like solution where I use a normal tty driver (usart3) to communicate and a second custom driver to highjack the GPIO peripheral.

The issue is that I don't seem to be able to read any values out of the GPIO registers except for 0. Here is the code I'm using for testing the GPIO access:

static const uint32_t GPIO_BASE = 0x50003000;
static const uint32_t GPIO_LAST = GPIO_BASE + 0x3fc;

ssize_t show_debug_attr(struct kobject* kobj, struct kobj_attribute* attr,
                        char* buf) {
    ssize_t written = 0;
    uint32_t i;

volatile void __iomem* ptr =
        ioremap_nocache(GPIO_BASE, GPIO_LAST - GPIO_BASE);
    if (!ptr) {
        return -EIO;
    }
    for (i = 0; i <= GPIO_LAST - GPIO_BASE; i += 4) {
        writel(0xffffffff, ptr + i);
        uint32_t val = readl(ptr + i);
        written += snprintf(buf + written, PAGE_SIZE - written, "%i, ", val);
    }
    iounmap(ptr);
    written += snprintf(buf + written, PAGE_SIZE - written, "\n");

return written;
}

The code above only prints zeroes. I've disabled the tty using the same peripheral. Also gpioset/get tools in linux seem to work fine.

2 REPLIES 2
Bao Son Le
Associate II

Hi,

I think my reply is too late 😂.​ So, as you wrote in your post, we should use the solution suggested from ST to control gpios via pinctrl/gpiolib + devicetree. You could find a simple example at https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_control_a_GPIO_in_kernel_space

In other hand, if you still control your gpio pins directly, I think you need refer more in reference manual, at RCC section. I think RCC_MP_AHB4ENSETR is ưhat you want. You must set these bits to enable peripheral clock from MP side before access them.

Hope it useful with you.

PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

don't know exactly what do you mean by "The BT SoC shares its UART Tx pin with reset functionality" nor what is your HW behind that.

Maybe look at sending a 'Break' on tty (break is forcing UART_TX pin to low, usually by a time in a range of tens or hundreds of ms).

This is somewhat more standard and might avoid to 'hack' the UART AFmux to GPIO (which is probably possible, but maybe not compliant/future proof regarding DT flexibility and Linux behavior)

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.