cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

libncurses.5 problem: I try to switch to the arm-none-eabi tools from my distro, how do I achieve that?

MKais.1
Associate II

I ran into the well known problem with libncurses.5. My distro doesn't supply this old version of libncurses. Instead my distro supplies arm-none-eabi tools linked against libncurses.6.

I have two options:

1. Try to install libncurses.5 from source. I think I might risk breaking my libncurses.6 installation on my computer. Thus I want to avoid that.
  2. Try to convince the IDE using the binaries supplied by my distro. I don't know how to do that. I went to the environment section in „Properties“ and removed the endless path within my homedirectory, but that doesn't impress the IDE, I still get the same error:

Could not determine GDB version using command: /home/ariser/st/stm32cubeide_1.3.0/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.7-2018-q2-update.linux64_1.0.0.201904181610/tools/bin/arm-none-eabi-gdb --version
/home/ariser/st/stm32cubeide_1.3.0/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.7-2018-q2-update.linux64_1.0.0.201904181610/tools/bin/arm-none-eabi-gdb: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

How do I fix that problem?

5 REPLIES 5
TDK
Guru

You can change the compiler by adding the path to the desired compiler in the PATH settings and remove the path to STM32CubeIDE's default compiler.

Project properties -> C/C++ Build -> Environment -> change PATH variable.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
MKais.1
Associate II

0693W000001qHJ8QAM.png

Path changed.

0693W000001qHJIQA2.png

Error stays the same.

I restarted the program, I even did a reboot. Nothing changed.

What can I do next?

TDK
Guru

Works for me. Maybe it's hard coded into your PATH variable on startup. Do "which arm-none-eabi-gdb" and ensure nothing is found.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
MKais.1
Associate II

which arm-none-eabi-gdb

brings only /bin/arm-none-eabi-gdb

I think it must be hard coded into STM32CubeIDE or something. I could delete the broken gdb and set a symlink to the working one. But that is really bad practice.

MKais.1
Associate II

I finally removed the directory /home/ariser/st/stm32cubeide_1.3.0/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.7-2018-q2-update.linux64_1.0.0.201904181610/tools/bin and added a symlink to /bin. Error vanished as expected. But I'm dissatified that changing PATH from menu didn't have any effect so far. I think I can expect further problems associated with settings.

Best solution:

the arm-tools should be linked against libncurses6

and

the settings problems should be fixed

Where can I address that? Is there a bugtracking for the IDE?