cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of chemicals can the LPS33HWTR membrane withstand and for how long? (kind of covid19 question..)

SimonJ
Associate

Hello,

I use the LPS33HWTR as pressure sensor in a music instrument.

So here is my question: the sensor is deep inside a plastic molding which is a kind of wind instrument (like a flute or a saxophone..) and is maybe (quite sure) exposed to saliva.

With all the covid stuff coming up I initiated a discussion about the quickly changing habits and the possible repercussions on their prototypes.

So here is my question, does the LPS33HWTR's membrane withstand alcohol solutions and if yes does this change the sensor lifetime?

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @SimonJ​ , an interesting and actual question, indeed. I asked to our mechanical designers and they confirm there is no issue both from a mechanical side (alcohol has lower density than water and the package is water-resistant) and from a chemical point of view (you can for wash the sensor with alcohol for indefinite time, without damaging the sensor membrane or even affecting the sensor performances, because the water resistant material can withstand alcohol solutions). Regards