cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the STEVAL-SPIN3201 limited to 15 Arms?

PBela.1
Associate II

Hi, I read in the Data Brief of the STEVAL-SPIN3201 module that it can ouput up to 15 Arms of current but I can't find in the schematic why that it. The mosfet used on the board (STD140N6F7) seems capable of higher current output.

We want to port the design of the eval board o our custom board but our current requirements are a bit hogher then 15A and wanted to know what we needed to adjust to make it possible, if it is possible..

Best regard,

PB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Enrico Poli
ST Employee

Hi PB,

Limitation is related to the power dissipation on the power stage circuitry (power MOSFETs, shunt resistors) and layout of the board.

The limit is set in order to keep everything in a safe region, so it is a bit conservative. If you want try squeezing the maximum power from the board, I recommend you to constantly monitor the PCB temperature (a good point is the bottom side, just below the power stage) via a thermocouple.

Kind Regards

Enrico

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Enrico Poli
ST Employee

Hi PB,

Limitation is related to the power dissipation on the power stage circuitry (power MOSFETs, shunt resistors) and layout of the board.

The limit is set in order to keep everything in a safe region, so it is a bit conservative. If you want try squeezing the maximum power from the board, I recommend you to constantly monitor the PCB temperature (a good point is the bottom side, just below the power stage) via a thermocouple.

Kind Regards

Enrico