cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I install and configure Node Red manager on B-L072Z-LRWAN1 Discovery kit

PAmey.3
Associate II

Hello,

I am novice with STM devise. I received a B-L072Z-LRWAN1 Discovery kit with the goal to build a LoRaWAN gateway repeater (or relay). Thank to Clive, I could complete the fist step and here is the solution (see 3 last conversation).

Now, I would like to manager the nodes in order to allow then to communication through the repeater (Discovery kit). Here are the steps and unfortunately it's not really cleat for me.

First question (may be stupid) Node-red should it be install on my Macbook, or on the Discovery board?

I got an advise, and here it what I did until now, on my Macbook Air.

Reference 1

Reference 2

$ cd /usr/local/
$ sudo mkdir nodejs
$ cd nodejs/
$ sudo curl "https://nodejs.org/dist/latest/node-${VERSION:-$(wget -qO- https://nodejs.org/dist/latest/ | sed -nE 's|.*>node-(.*)\.pkg</a>.*|\1|p')}.pkg" > "$HOME/Downloads/node-latest.pkg" && sudo installer -store -pkg "$HOME/Downloads/node-latest.pkg" -target "/"
$ node -v

The last command return me

v10.16.0

Then I use the command

sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red

I am not sure if my step are correct.

If I look at this section, it is not state to do the step I did (see above), even if I beleive it may be necessary. It state to install Node Red dependencies

• node-red-dashboard
  • the TTN node red node

But where? In my macbook? in the discovery kit? This is not really clear for

Why should I install those poackage on my Macbook while I am trying to configure the discovery kit board to manage my nodes?

(I have no experience yet with Node Red)

Thank a lot for all clarification, you can provide me

Cheers

(I will create a tuto, step by step, when I will successefully complete my repeater, in order to make easier for the next user)

2 REPLIES 2
PAmey.3
Associate II

Here are the step I just did, but it's still unclear for me, even if I may be in a good direction

I open a terminal and I enter:

node-red

Like a web server start and I can lunch the page http://127.0.0.1:1880

I also observed the menu manage-palette and I looked for node-red-dashboard

That was not install and I tried through the web intergace without success.

Then I open a terminal, and I

cd ~/.node-red
npm i node-red-dashboard

and I got something like

npm update check failed                      │
│ Try running with sudo or get access │
│ to the local update config store via   │
│ sudo chown -R $USER:$(id -gn $USER) /Users/pamey/.config

I restart node-red and now from menu ->manage palette, I can see node-red-dashboard installed!!

That sound good, but I am still confuse when the Discuvery kit board will "come in action" 🙂

In the node-red web interface, there is "Deploy" link. Will it upload something some where?

Sorry, I am novice

Thank

PAmey.3
Associate II

For example, I followed those steps and at the step 6, they wrote to click on Deploy and at step 8, they wrote

As soon as your device sends an uplink message, you should be seeing a debug statement that looks something like this:

But never, I had to connect my discovery kit, which should interface between the nodes and the gateway.

So, all I did on node-red, I should "transmit" to my repeater (discovery kit), isn't ?