cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I load OpenLinux on the MP157?

GMott.1
Associate

Hello All,

I received my MP157C-DK2 kit. How do I download the image on it?

Thanks,

Gil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GMott.1
Associate

Gentlemen,

I ended up using the wiki and it worked. However when using a VM machine, in my case Virtualbox with Ubuntu, you have to be careful!

Thanks to the ST Micro Engineers and the Wiki, I was able to make it work on my desk, it took me three attempts because I had to learn that the MP1 changes its USB device name and the VM does not catch it automatically.

"The VM will work (I use VM as well as dedicated Linux machine) however you have to be careful in regards to USB enumeration between the VM and host OS. During programming, the device will initially start up in DFU for the first and second stage bootloader. It will switch to USB gadget for the remaining pieces such as uimage, dtb,… targetFS."

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157C-DK2/Let%27s_start/Populate_the_target_and_boot_the_image

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hell,

out of the box SD-Card of Discovery kit should contain starter package demo image.

To start the demo, simply connect CN6 (PWR IN, the one on Ethernet RJ45 side of the board) to a supply, USB Type-C 5V 3A (1A is enough if no power drawn from USB Type-A connectors). You could display the Linux terminal console using the ST-Link port (USB Type-microB) to a PC (then any terminal SW is ok).

If SD-Card is empty or not working (please tell us the board Serial Number), you should follow https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157C-DK2, you need to use another USB Type-C on CN7 to connect to PC CubeProgrammer.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
K.Ata15
Associate III

Hey Patrick,

I have two brand new DK2 kits here, both came with blank 16 GB micro SD card, formatted to FAT32. Hope this helps.

K.

Could you share full DK2 kit part number and serial number present on a white sticker on the PCB.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Sure!

MB1272-DK2-C01

A185200094

GMott.1
Associate

Gentlemen,

I ended up using the wiki and it worked. However when using a VM machine, in my case Virtualbox with Ubuntu, you have to be careful!

Thanks to the ST Micro Engineers and the Wiki, I was able to make it work on my desk, it took me three attempts because I had to learn that the MP1 changes its USB device name and the VM does not catch it automatically.

"The VM will work (I use VM as well as dedicated Linux machine) however you have to be careful in regards to USB enumeration between the VM and host OS. During programming, the device will initially start up in DFU for the first and second stage bootloader. It will switch to USB gadget for the remaining pieces such as uimage, dtb,… targetFS."

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157C-DK2/Let%27s_start/Populate_the_target_and_boot_the_image

I confirm that you have some of the early batch of DK2 board (data code 1852), where SD-Card were not populated with Starter Package in production.

DK2 boards with a date code starting from 1915 onward should have Starter Package out of the box.