cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM6DS3 Gyroscope Shock Immunity

Nate
Associate

Greetings. I have been working on a product research project for about a year and a half. The project involved some mechanical problem solving to get to the point of testing that I am at now.

The LSM6DS3 is embedded in a solid object at rest in an unknown orientation, that will be subject to an impact vector. After the impact occurs, the solid body will have a rotational velocity. I am successfully able to measure the gravitational vector using the accelerometer while at rest, detect the impact using the single tap feature to start the FIFO record immediately after impact, accumulate some gyroscope data, and then take the cross product of the gyroscope data and the gravitational vector to detect the solid body rotational vector.

I have tested and verified that the gyroscope data behaves as expected before the impact. What I am finding is that after the impact, the gyroscope data, for a short time, is unpredictable. This lead me to question how the impact (high acceleration) affects the gyroscope, and I can not find much information. The LSM6DS3 gyro is advertised as "impact resistant", but to what degree?

Can ST provide me with more information, or tests done / datasheets / app notes / experience? Can I expect the gyro to need a short recovery period (and if so, how long?). Is the gyroscope recovering quickly, but perhaps is flooding a digital filter, and the filter needs time to recover? What are suggested settings for this application? Should I instead try a different IMU?

Thank you for your time and help.

0 REPLIES 0