cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update firmware on Nucleo-144 with STM32H743ZIT

I have 2 Nucleo-144 with STM32H743ZIT. I've been using one to do development, but something I did seems to have corrupted something.

My OS is windows 7 professional.

When I plug the USB in the virtual com port does not appear. However, I know the driver is installed because the VCP does appear when I plug in the one I've never used. This tells me two things, the USB cable is working and the driver is installed.

I connected the "bad" board and tried to update it's firmware with STM32CubeProgrammer, but the ST-LINK doesn't show up in the list. The "good" board will connect when I click the Connect button and when disconnect, if I start the update firmware process, ST-LINK shows up in the list as it should.

A few days ago, I was working with a USB memory stick and wanted to eject it, but I ejected STM32-STlink and it seems thereafter, I can't get the "bad" board to connect. It had been working flawlessly until I did that.

When I plug in the "good" board, the STM32-STlink device shows up. When I plug in the "bad" board, no device appears in the list of devices to eject.

What can I do to restore the functionality of the "bad" board? I've reinstalled everything from STM32CubeProgrammer to the USB driver to the ST-LINK program using the install files from STMicroelectronics website.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The problem is resolved. When I tried to connect with STM32CubeProgrammer, the program responded with device held under reset. I had soldered a wire onto one of the grounds on the corner to have a good ground to another board connected to the nucleo. I scraped around that connection and now the board works.

Thanks to all.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Test other cables. Test on another PC. It seems you broke the STLINK. Have a look if you damaged the connector eventually.

Connector doesn't appear damaged and was not abused in any way. The cable works on another identical board I just took out of the package. The only thing I did that could explain this is the software ejecting of the STM32-STlink device accidentally when I wanted to eject a USB drive stick. Unfortunately, I have no second cable. When I plug the cable into the bad board, the LED (LD4, also labeled COM) blinks red and green for some seconds then goes solid green, but no VCP appears and the previously loaded and working application doesn't start (it should be flashing some of the user LEDs). No other computer available.

More info - I removed the two jumpers labeled Nucleo on one side and ST-LINK on the other. When I did that, the virtual com port appears. I then ran STM32CubeProgrammer and tried to do the firmware update and this time I saw ST-LINK in the list, so I tried to open in update mode, but that failed to connect. Restoring the jumpers to installed causes the original problem to return, no VCP and can't update the firmware. Note that on the board that works, the jumpers are also installed.

The problem is resolved. When I tried to connect with STM32CubeProgrammer, the program responded with device held under reset. I had soldered a wire onto one of the grounds on the corner to have a good ground to another board connected to the nucleo. I scraped around that connection and now the board works.

Thanks to all.