cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ST have plan to make SPI version of VL53L0x?

just4you
Associate II
Posted on January 20, 2017 at 06:43

I wonder that ST has plan to make another enhanced version of VL53L0x.

VL53L0x's I2C speed and output rate is slow.

If a spi interfaced device is made, I hope that it would support the daisy chain.

Currently multiple sensor interface is very complex.

And I hope that the API library is more simple and light.

Additionally, a right angle mounted sensor is needed.

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee
Posted on June 16, 2017 at 00:58

>>>I wonder that ST has plan to make another enhanced version of VL53L0x.

There is always another part. But most people want a longer distance, so that is a priority.

>>>VL53L0x's I2C speed and output rate is slow.

You can try running it a 1MHz. Many restrictions on line conditioning, but in some cases it works. Note that the DataSheet says 400KHz, but some people over-clock that.

>>>If a spi interfaced device is made, I hope that it would support the daisy chain.

Thanks for the comment. No plan to change the current chip unfortunately

>>>Currently multiple sensor interface is very complex.

The trade-off of hardware simplicity vs software is a tricky one. One brings the sensors out of reset one-by-one, and sends an 'address change' command. After that all the sensors will have different addresses.

>>>And I hope that the API library is more simple and light.

Actually the software is going the other way. To get more distance, more software complexity is required. But if you really need a smaller API, have a look at the Polulu Time-of-Flight web page. ST does not support the code there, but some folks use it.

>>>Additionally, a right angle mounted sensor is needed.

The vast majority of the Time-of-Flight sensors are for the cell phone market. A flex cable is one option.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.