Associate II
Posted on June 26, 2008 at 15:01

Help: Protection issues with DFU Bootloader

3 REPLIES 3
phil239955_st
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:38

Hi,

I have loaded the DFU firmware from source code into the STM3210B-EVAL board using a J-LINK. When run the code sets the write protect to the bootloader sectors and runs fine. I now wish to erase the bootloader and put my own application directly into the Flash using the IDE/J-LINK interface for debugging. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to clear the write protection? I have also tried serial bootloader, this connects fine and I tried a chip ERASE. So my DFU bootloader is erased but when I try to debug my application with J-LINK the chip is shown as erased but will not program over the original bootloader sectors as I get verify errors.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards

Phil.

phil239955_st
Associate II

Hi,

Have solved my problem. It appears that in my application the settings for the Debugger the checkbox for use Flashloader was not checked! But it was in the DFU bootloader application.

Regards

Phil.

jj
Associate II

Thanks Phil for your clear, detailed write-up showing how you found & solved the problem. Should help many.

I have same board/IDE as you - have thus far avoided DFU and bootloader.

Imagine now & in near future you will do bulk/all development from J-Link. I do not grasp ''how'' the IDE will recognize and adapt to the DFU and bootloader - assuming you add these down-stream. Perhaps you will just proceed under J-Link/IDE only - and once debugged/success you will at that point ADD the DFU and bootloader. You would then load your final application code via the DFU or bootloader. Is this reasoning close?

My firm specializes in low-cost, color TFTs with ''intelligent'' front ends. You talk to these via SPI, I2C, Uart - later CAN & USB. Currenly have 2.4, 3.5, 5.7'' (320x240 pix), 4.3'' (480x272)and 7.0'' (800x480). All are very high contrast, wide viewing angle - and will have an STM32 as the front-end.