cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM8AF Series availability

KGane.1
Associate III

STM8A Discovery boards are NRND. Is the part discontinued/going obsolete?. According to ST, these parts are long term guarantee. 10 Year Product Longevity does not cover STM8A series.

4 REPLIES 4

It means they have no interest is supporting this DISCOVERY board moving forward, ie the design is stale and it's not going to be refreshed.

The 10 Year is on the PART, not the BOARD

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

But STM8A series is not available in product longevity list.

I don't think the DISCO boards are particularly profitable

The parts look to come out of the Rousset Fab

You should talk to your local sales rep about road-map, and expectations for the chips.

At some level the business might look to dump unprofitable parts, for ones that are more profitable, especially where demand on Fab capacity is particularly high.

I don't think the "10 Year" is actually contractual

If you're worried about long term viability of this particular part, perhaps find ones with longer horizons, and start the redesign process, and have a plan to review/refresh the design on 5-year basis.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Correct, the STM8As are no longer included in the long-term availability list because they will only be available until about 2031. As @Community member​ said, new designs should definitely use another platform, especially if long-term availability is a concern.

For the STM8 without automotive approval, the long-term availability of 10 years was confirmed again in January 2022, but a look at more modern devices is nevertheless highly recommended.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.