cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM8 Discovery

Posted on April 28, 2010 at 19:04

Hi there,

Sorry about this, but I appear unable to get started...

I have tried compiling a number of the pre-written software such as the um0884 which should be the RS232 files...

But I just cannot compile or build the projects...

Ok it's been a few years, so I am a tad embarrassed by all this...

Could someone point me in the right direction...

I have downloaded the lastest sttoolset, and plan on using this compiler ''Cosmic CxSTM8 32K 4.3.4''

All I want to do is complile a basic programme just to familerise myself with how it all works and dump the file to the development board...

Only there seems to be a lot of documentation to wad through, what should I actually be looking at...

17 REPLIES 17
Grom
Associate II
Posted on April 29, 2010 at 15:20

I can reproduce the problem if I remove my License file from Cosmic install directory.

I saw in one of your previous post that you already verified that your lic file is in

''E:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_32K\\License''

- Did you ask for this license with the PC you are currently using ?

I think the best thing to do is to ask for a new license file using  ''Lmreg32k.exe''

which is located in Cosmic install dir.

Keep me informed if you face any problem

Regards

Grom
Posted on April 29, 2010 at 15:26

I'll give it a try right now...

Thanks...

Posted on April 29, 2010 at 15:33

Replaced the file with the new automatically generated one and it throw up some new issues...

It locked itself into a loop... unable to find license.... so I point it at license... press build all... unable to find license...

So I have now emailed them for the license...

Posted on April 29, 2010 at 15:53

Obtained the new license...

I now get this...

----------- Project set_up - STM8 Cosmic - Configuration Debug -------------

Removing intermediate files ... Done!

----------- Project set_up - STM8 Cosmic - Configuration Debug -------------

Compiling libraries\stm8s_stdperiph_driver\src\stm8s_tim2.c...

cxstm8 -ilibraries\stm8s_stdperiph_driver\inc -iproject\inc +debug -pxp -no -l +mods0 -pp -i''E:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_32K\Hstm8'' -clDebug\ -coDebug\ libraries\stm8s_stdperiph_driver\src\stm8s_tim2.c

libraries\stm8s_stdperiph_driver\src\stm8s_tim2.c:

Compiling project\src\main.c...

cxstm8 -ilibraries\stm8s_stdperiph_driver\inc -iproject\inc +debug -pxp -no -l +mods0 -pp -i''E:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_32K\Hstm8'' -clDebug\ -coDebug\ project\src\main.c

project\src\main.c:

Compiling project\src\stm8s_it.c...

cxstm8 -ilibraries\stm8s_stdperiph_driver\inc -iproject\inc +debug -pxp -no -l +mods0 -pp -i''E:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_32K\Hstm8'' -clDebug\ -coDebug\ project\src\stm8s_it.c

project\src\stm8s_it.c:

Running Linker

clnk -l''E:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_32K\Lib'' -o Debug\set_up.sm8 -mDebug\set_up.map Debug\set_up.lkf

cvdwarf Debug\set_up.sm8

Running Post-Build step

chex -o Debug\set_up.s19 Debug\set_up.sm8

set_up.elf - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

So I presume I am now ready to download this to the STM8S-Discovery Board and start to understand how things work...

Grom
Associate II
Posted on April 29, 2010 at 16:05

Perfect !

Now you can start playing with your STM8-Discovery

Don't hesitate to create a new topic if you need some information about provided applications .

Have Fun

Grom
Posted on April 29, 2010 at 16:10

Don't worry I won't...

However you might regrette ever getting me started... lol

Thanks for all the help and assistance

Posted on April 29, 2010 at 16:43

When I use the debug tool in STVD does it automatically programme the development board... or does it just use some of the features...

So do I need to actually programme the board before I can use it in standalone mode?

Grom
Associate II
Posted on April 29, 2010 at 16:56

When you use the Debug mode your aplication code (Firmware) is downloaded into the Flash memory of the micro . If you close STVD or stop the debug session your firmware will remain in the memory and you will be able to run it without STVD (as ''standalone'')