Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner

ysamanthak
Associate II
Posted on July 23, 2011 at 10:38

Hi All,

Yesterday i just got stm8s-discovery board.I don't know how to make use of it to the max since i am unaware about the compiler used with stm to build the code and other info regarding STM, till today i am familiar with AVR not with stm kindly please help me to start with stm.

#lmgtfy #lmgtfy---stm8-tools
13 REPLIES 13
ysamanthak
Associate II
Posted on October 05, 2011 at 11:10

ok. Please let me know ''What is the difference/speciallity of the core in comparison with other core's(8051,Pic,Avr,Arm,Zilog's..etc)''

brazov22
Associate II
Posted on October 06, 2011 at 19:30

Not so easy to answer ..... in the micrcontroller arena you have to select what you need according the target application so you have to look at some parameeters available on datasheets:

Architecture (Harvard/ Von Neuman)

Pipeline (yes/no)

Type (8-bit,16-bit,32-bit core)

Performances (DMips / CoreMark benchmark)

Operating voltage (low voltage / 5V)

Operating temperature (up to 85C, 125C or 150C)

Low power (YES/NO current consumption in stand-by < few hundreds nA)

Numer and type of peripherals, interrupts, ....

Developement tool (free or not)

Memory cycling/retention

As you can see it's difficult to say! I think nobody did this comparison, anyway a micro can be better than another for some of these parameters and vic eversa. Also the price can make the difference. If you collect all these infos for all the micro you mentinoned perhaps you can have an idea o what you're asking.

good luck

brazov

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III
Posted on October 06, 2011 at 22:17

''What is the difference/speciallity of the core in comparison with other cores(8051,Pic,Avr,Arm,Zilog's..etc)''

A key difference is that ST have designed it for easy migration to STM32.

It is a new design, so can take advantage of the latest techniques - especially with regard to power saving.

ysamanthak
Associate II
Posted on October 10, 2011 at 06:51

Thanks.

Well definitely there will be some or other difference between versions.

Please it will help if could get info with respect to core difference mean if PIC core and AVR cores difference like this need to get the difference in core.

Thanks,

Yash