cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which IDE you would choose from STM32CubeMX supported list?

BParh.1
Senior III

As we know STM32CubeMX support multiple IDEs:

1. STM32 Cube IDE
  2. IAR
  3. Keil

I am in midst to decide which one to use. I find this is crucial decision as this would be one used throughout development till production and I don't want to waste time due to toolchains switch.

So far, I use STM32 Cube IDE. I like its integration to CubeMX but as an editor, the look and feel is not to my taste.

As for IAR, I just recently tried it. As an editor I prefer this to CubeMX. But it needs license to build as compare to free in CubeIDE. But what else the advantages?

As for Keil, I have not tried, but could anyone share the main benefit for Keil IDE?

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @BParh.1​ ,

As you've already mentioned, the main feature of the STM32CubeMX tool is the generation of embedded C projects for a selection of integrated development environment tool chains.

It is up to the user to select the development toolchain (IDE) for which the C code has to be generated according to his taste and with which IDE he is most familiar

STM32CubeMX ensures that the IDE relevant project files are added to the project folder so that the project can be directly imported as a new project within third party IDE (IAR™ EWARM, Keil MDK-ARM, Atollic TrueSTUDIO and AC6 System Workbench for STM32).

Concerning STM32CubeIDE, it integrates STM32CubeMX functionalities to offer all-in-one tool experience. It makes it easy to create new STM32 MCU or board projects and build them using the included GCC toolchain.

It is an advanced C/C++ development platform with peripheral configuration, code generation, code compilation, linking, and debug features. It is based on the Eclipse/CDT framework and GCC toolchain for the development, and GDB for the debugging.

Also, you'll find linked here another similar discussion with different opinions.

Hope this helps you find the toolchain/ IDE that best suits your needs. 

Khouloud.