cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeMX on UHD (4K) display - clock configuration diagram too small to see

dale
Associate III
Posted on December 24, 2016 at 21:51

Using STM32CubeMX version 4.18.0 on Windows 10 Pro (build 1607) with an UHD (4K) display results in tiny toolbar icons and a very tiny Clock Configuration diagram.  Please see attached screen capture image.  Not that this application window is not maximized.

Is there any way to scale these images within the STM32CubeMX application so that I can see them with human eyes?

Additionally, the screen looks the same even when I drag the STM32CubeMX application to a different, lower-resolution monitor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale

#stm32cubemx
24 REPLIES 24
Posted on June 27, 2017 at 16:55

Please 'Like' the top-level question here, or 'I also have this problem/question', so the screen/size management issue gets some love from the User Interface/Experience team

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
misagh
Associate III
Posted on June 27, 2017 at 17:35

This is really a serious problem. I hope the

CubeMX

team will fix it as soon as possible.
Michael Balaun
Associate
Posted on June 27, 2017 at 18:53

Same issue here. I'm on a Dell XPS 15 laptop with a 4k display, switching the display resolution to 1920x1080 does not fix the UI display problems.

Posted on June 27, 2017 at 19:21

Hello,

I will forward your issue to CubeMx team and keep you informed about the taken actions/explanation if needed.

Regards

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Posted on June 27, 2017 at 20:21

It is a systemic issue with the dynamic sizing, it needs refactoring. Something that takes into account System UI settings, font size, screen size, etc.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Adam Hamilton
Associate III
Posted on August 05, 2017 at 00:16

I have found a possible solution while searching the interwebs.

https://superuser.com/questions/988379/how-do-i-run-java-apps-upscaled-on-a-high-dpi-display

It is only a partial solution that would mean you will have to disable the DPI scaling for the java binary programs within the Program Files/java/bin directory  or Program Files (x86) for non 64 bit versions.

I think the problem relates to the Swing GUI library that I suspect the Cube application uses and Swing as I have found out is not DPI aware. As I am unfamiliar with Swing, I am not sure whether there is a separate scaling property in all the UI elements that it provides. If there is a property then I am sure something can be done to obtain the system scaling in use (for me it is 200%) and apply this scale factor the buggy UI elements.

This is a workaround that will affect every java GUI application.

Posted on August 04, 2017 at 23:46

Imen, it has just over 7 months since you said that you would get back with a response ASAP.

0690X00000607tWQAQ.png

This is a screenshot from my CubeMX application which is currently at 4.22.0. What I and the community would like to know is when this issue will be fixed because while it is usable, it is not optimal.

Is this issue able to be fixed? Is it a problem with the underlying Java libraries? The community would like answers and explanations.

If the problem is within the CubeMX application itself, it should not be difficult to fix I would imagine. If the problem is within the Java UI libraries then this should be communicated.

Are there any plans to open source this application, to place it on GitHub and maybe a few members of the community can pitch in and fix the problem.

Thank you for your time.

Posted on August 10, 2017 at 19:40

Have you tried <CTRL> + Mousewheel to Zoom in or out?

Works on my system

Posted on August 11, 2017 at 03:14

The problem stems from the inability for the Swing API (The Java library that handles the GUI) to properly scale the controls to fit the text. While <CTRL> + Mousewheel does solve the issue to some degree, the individual elements within the clock configurator don't scale properly.

If you look at my post above, you will notice that the dividing lines for the board list don't scale properly to fit the text which makes it difficult to read. I do have a solution which works that is detailed further down. This is a rather drastic approach and consequently affects all java applications.

There might be a way to limit this workaround to just the CubeMX application by making a copy of the javaw.exe application and applying the workaround to just the copy. This copy could then be used to explicitly run the CubeMX software. I have not tried this but if I do go ahead with this and it works I will update my post further down to detail what I did.

Teemu Ikonen
Associate II
Posted on September 16, 2017 at 20:06

This is my workaround on a Windows 10 laptop.

1. Right click STM32CubeMX launcher on the desktop and select Properties
  2. Open 'Compatibility' tab
  3. Check ''Override high DPI scaling behavior'
  4. Select 'System' from the combobox and click OK.

Now CubeMX should be lot more readable on a high resolution display.

0690X00000608G7QAI.png