cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate code button not doing anything

Dany0
Associate

Hi! all

I may not be at the right place but since I can't even start on the CubeMx, here it is.

I'm a long time user of Microchip PIC product but since this is my first attempt to use the STM32 I suspect I will have some big time to understand all it's new setup. After looking several video on simple program, I downloaded the CubeMx 6.12.0 and I try those. But as soon as I try to push the blue "generate code" button at top far right, nothing happen. Same thing with the icon on top center "myST" login, nothing happen. I'd like to be able to use the STM32 board for larger and more memory space, so if someone  can help me on this one so I can move on to the programming section, that will be great.

I have the Nucleo-144 F429ZIT and STM32F4VE, and several smaller boards but never use them so far.

My goal is to talk to the STM32F4VE to "full test " the internal W25Q flash memory.

I also have the "St-Link V2" for those who don't have the link.

P.S. The board is not yet connected, is this a problem ?

I'm on Win7pro 64

Thanks all.

Sept 28 2024

9 REPLIES 9
MM..1
Chief II

No for MX use no board connection is required, but W7 maybe is issue. ST installs dont right check existence valid library sometimes. Try install more recent VC redist Latest supported Visual C++ Redistributable downloads | Microsoft Learn

TDK
Guru

Win7 isn't supported anymore, but that's probably not the issue. But it could be.

Are you behind a corporate firewall or something similar? 

Might want to try the standalone STM32CubeMX where you can verify that your internet connection works as expected. Could also be ST's servers having issues, but no trouble here. The first time you click "generate code" it can take a while. I don't know what it's doing in the background, but it does seem to phone home.

TDK_0-1727540940263.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

So the Windows update does nothing and as for the UPDATER SETTINGS when I click on "Check Connections" it seem OK. I'll try to upload some picture of the pages I have .

You realy have EWARM IAR installed in version as you sut in project manager toolchain?

Hummmm seems that I don't know anything about that. I just use the default settings. Like I wrote I'm an old user of microchip PIC family but never touch, yet, the STM32. But intending to use them now. So as I don't know what I need nor the sequence of the needed program if you can guide me on that or know someone that can do, that will be very appreciated.

So for an update, I borrowed a Windows10 machine and do the same setup and now after the "Generate code" and

long downloaded time I see a new folder having that : Folder: Core

Folder: Drivers

Folder: EWARM

.mxProject

SZTM32 Sept2024.ioc

I'm still in the main page of CubeMX, but something must have been working.

So what to do next, and thanks for the reply

CubeMX is only project generator, for next step yu require choice one IDE. Open dropdown and check list, have you any of this installed ? When no for beginer choice STMCubeIDE (download and install from ST), then ofcourse generate code for it.

Dany0
Associate

So CubeMX only setup some files in a folder according to the Chip and the Peripherals we need, nothing more.

Then we need one IDE. In the dropdown there is :EWARM

MDK-ARM

STM32CubeIDE

Makefile

CMake

When I click on CubeIDE, there is a checkbox at right named "Generate under root", and it is "checked"

and nothing else after that.

So i will download "CubeIDE" and see what happen. Thanks again.

I read somewhere that CubeMX is part of CubeIDE,  so do I need to use CubeMX and then CubeIDE?

Yes CubeIDE have wizard MX part only for CubeIDE, then you dont require standalone MX , but you can have and use both. 

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

I read somewhere that CubeMX is part of CubeIDE,  so do I need to use CubeMX and then CubeIDE?

Yes, CubeIDE has a plugin, "Device configuration tool" that is almost same as CubeMX.

But rumors are that they can reconsider this and divorce CubeIDE from CubeMX. If you already have the standalone CubeMX, just keep using it, and ignore the "configuration tool". There's nothing to regret.