cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FW v1.16.1 broke HAL MMC Driver

NBrow.1
Associate

Using a custom board with an STM32F769 I had successfully interfaced to an eMMC with the HAL-MMC driver. The limitations of the driver's ability to query the extended CSD were clearly noted on this forum. I implemented my own routines to retrieve this information and correct the block sizes (after HAL_MMC_Init call). After upgrading to F7 FW v1.16.1 (released mid February) I noticed this functionality had been added to the driver itself so I removed my version.

The out of the box driver fails when calling MMC_ReadExtCSD() from HAL_MMC_GetCardCSD() with a command timeout (CTIMEOUT) error. After quite a bit of debuggin I compared the driver to the STM32L series driver and noticed in that version the SDMMC_CmdSelDesel() call was made prior to HAL_MMC_GetCardCSD(). After making the modification the code runs successfully. I'm by no means an SDMMC expert but I believe this fix needs to be made in the next firmware release. I would appreciate ST/Community confirming the issue. The "fixed" and suspect code is below:

/////// Working Code ////////// 
 /* Select the Card */
  errorstate = SDMMC_CmdSelDesel(hmmc->Instance, (uint32_t)(((uint32_t)hmmc->MmcCard.RelCardAdd) << 16U));
  if(errorstate != HAL_MMC_ERROR_NONE)
  {
    return errorstate;
  }

/* Get CSD parameters */
  if (HAL_MMC_GetCardCSD(hmmc, &CSD) != HAL_OK)
  {
    return hmmc->ErrorCode;
  }
 /////// Suspect Code //////////
  /* Get CSD parameters */
  if (HAL_MMC_GetCardCSD(hmmc, &CSD) != HAL_OK)
  {
    return hmmc->ErrorCode;
  }

/* Select the Card */
  errorstate = SDMMC_CmdSelDesel(hmmc->Instance, (uint32_t)(((uint32_t)hmmc->MmcCard.RelCardAdd) << 16U));
  if(errorstate != HAL_MMC_ERROR_NONE)
  {
    return errorstate;
  }

4 REPLIES 4

Pretty sure the method that works most robustly is

Get CID from card

Select w/Relative Address Zero

Get RCA from card

Get CSD from card using RCA as parameter

Select w/RCA

if (BlockCount == 0x200000) Get EXTCSD from card

Depends what "HAL_MMC/SD_GetCardCSD()" does, most implementations just decode the CSD into structure variables, they don't actually call anything, but obviously ST continually shuffles things around

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
NBrow.1
Associate

Thanks for the info, I'll use that order in my modified driver. The HAL_MMC_GetCardCSD() first decodes the CSD and then midway through actually makes a call to retrieve the extended CSD. It's a bit misleading but at least ST is making progress on the driver.

>>at least ST is making progress on the driver.

I suppose. Not clear to me why they need an SD and MMC fork, I just merged in a handful of changes to the old SDIO drivers.

The speed and bus-width stuff is still a huge mess.

And the shipping FatFs library is broken.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
MMenz.1
Associate III

Safed my day, thanks a lot