cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeMon-Power: Unhelpful error message - "released due to connection issue"

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

Trying to measure consumption of a sub-GHz radio device, and I keep getting this error:

0693W00000AMgUHQA1.pngIt always seems to happen at the time of a Tx.

This is a really unhelpful message, as it gives no clue at all as to what the issue was - therefore is no help at all in resolving it.

��

The only thing mentioned under 'Troubleshooting' in UM2269 is USB overflow, with the suggestion being to reduce the acquisition frequency. So I reduced it to minimum (100Hz) - but still the problem persists.

So I tried using the basic terminal interface instead of the GUI - and I get this:

1578-06
2086-06
1146-05
1130-05
7516-05
end

error: Overcurrent >59mA, dynamic acquisition stopped

summary beg
0000-10
7516-05
summary end

So there is actually no "connection issue" at all - it is an error report from the board!

Surely, the GUI should be able to handle such reports, and present them to the User - instead of sending us on a wild goose chase looking for non-existent "connection issues" ?

��

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Richard.Chvr
ST Employee

Hi @Andrew Neil​ ,

You’re right. In this particular case the message returned by the GUI is not relevant and misleading. Unfortunately we didn’t detect this issue during our internal test.

Let me explain. The GUI is counting the number of data received and if data are missing the message “release due to connection issue�? is displayed.

In your case, the acquisition is stopped but  the message “

error: Overcurrent >59mA, dynamic acquisition stopped�?

is not taken into account by the GUI,  that conducts to the misleading message.

We will study why this error message is not correctly handled by GUI.

We apologize for this issue. Thanks for your time and precise description of it.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Richard.Chvr
ST Employee

Hi @Andrew Neil​ ,

You’re right. In this particular case the message returned by the GUI is not relevant and misleading. Unfortunately we didn’t detect this issue during our internal test.

Let me explain. The GUI is counting the number of data received and if data are missing the message “release due to connection issue�? is displayed.

In your case, the acquisition is stopped but  the message “

error: Overcurrent >59mA, dynamic acquisition stopped�?

is not taken into account by the GUI,  that conducts to the misleading message.

We will study why this error message is not correctly handled by GUI.

We apologize for this issue. Thanks for your time and precise description of it.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @Richard.Chvr​  - thanks for your reply.

Is there any workaround to this?

It's a great bit of kit, but this behaviour on over-range (not just the GUI, also the board itself) makes it useless in many radio applications:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000kvhhCSAQ/xnucleolpm01a-powershield-dynamic-current-range-too-limited

Richard.Chvr
ST Employee

Hi,

I'm afraid no workaround is available at that time. this over-range issue can only be fixed using another hardware as suggested in the post : https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000kvhhCSAQ/xnucleolpm01a-powershield-dynamic-current-range-too-limited

That's a shame.

Seems Nordic have thought their PPK through better:

https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/f/nordic-q-a/75527/ppk2-handling-of-in-rush-currents/311699#311699