cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLINK-V3PWR does not work on my notebook, because the USB port cannot supply enough power

CLeli.1
Associate

Power measurement with the STLINK-V3PWR does not work on my notebook because the USB 3.0 port cannot supply enough power. The PC software STM32CubeMonitor-Power - v1.2.0 reports "error Power measurement not available. Please use a more powerful USB port." With an existing USB 2.0 hub with power supply it does not work either. Is there any recommendation with which USB hub (with additional power supply) it works?

Is there another workaround?

13 REPLIES 13
S.Ma
Principal

Probably the USB generation saga.... legacy usb is limited to 5V 500mA as high power device.

Going through wrong cable, old hub, etc.. will destroy the USB-C power sourcing feature from the laptop.

Check if your laptop has a USB"xxxx" plug which has power delivery functionality.

Otherwise, maybe there are some accessories or hubs which inject the high power indirectly.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Does STLINK-V3PWR require direct connection to PC USB-C port? Can't it work with external type-C supply? Anyway, the product page states it's maximal current to the target is 550 mA.

CLeli.1
Associate

A connection of STLINK-V3PWR to external type-C power supply makes no sense, since the USB data connection to the PC is nessesary for working.

But I've tried to connect the STLINK-V3PWR to my notebook via an USB 3.0 Hub. This is working, even without the 5V power supply of the hub. It's labeled "Digitus USB 3.0 Office Hub, 7-Port", maybe every USB 3.0 will work this way.

Hello there! I'm having the same issue with my desktop; same error message. 

I have tried all the ports on my computer (which are both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0) but i get the same error. 

I tried checking the power settings on my USB but i couldn't find the power. However, if they're USB 3.0 it should be capable of handling 1.5 A

ANy suggestions?

THank you very much,

Guillermo

Hi garamendiazabaleta,

a USB3.0 to USB-C cable has an internal Pull-up resistor from CC to VDD which indicates/simulates the power capability

FWo_0-1704967444336.png

you need a cable with 10k Resistor for the STLINK-V3PWR

The STLINK-V3PWR don't cares about the current the USB3.0 Port actually deliveres,

it only checks the resistor! It is even possible to operate the STLINK-V3PWR on a 500mA Port if the cable indicates the 3Amps with the 10k pullup.

I had the same issue and ended up soldering my own cable ...

Thanks,

Fred

Mikroproc
Associate

Hello

Can you @FWo  be tell exactly how you did it?
I added 10K resistors between the 5V and the data lines but it didn't work.
Inside the PC there are already 56k resistors so the parallel connection should be with a different value.
I tried with 10K and 15K
I connected the power supply from the PC through a diode, in parallel with the power supply and the power supply itself.
STLink-V3PWR does not start in the correct current measurement mode meaning with a green diode on the USB

Hi @Mikroproc ,

i used a USB-HUB (2.0 or 3.0) and a standard USB2.0 Cable

Cut the USB2.0 Cable on the other side

Connected the open end to a USB-C Adapter-Board (https://www.ebay.de/itm/183278368973)

The Power Supply is external (i left the VCC Connection from USB-A to USB-C open)

2024_0118_111027_001.JPG

USB-A_VCC --- (no connection)
USB-A_GND --- USB-C_GND
USB-A_D+ (green) --- USB-C_A6
USB-A_D- (white) --- USB-C_A7

Ext. Power Supply_+5V --- USB-C_VCC
Ext. Power Supply_GND --- USB-C_GND

The USB-C adapter board comes with a 56k resistor installed (CC to VCC)

I soldered a 12k resistor parallel

FWo_0-1705571859702.png

Good luck, Fred

ChristopheB
ST Employee

Dear CLeli and all,

First of all, thank you for this post in ST community.

Please have a look on the UM3097 Source measurement unit (SMU) and debugger/programmer for STM32 microcontrollers . In chapter §5.3 "USB connection with a host PC", I detailed the pre-requisite of the host PC port to connect the STLINK-V3PWR with a summary on Table4.

In few  words:

• the STLINK-V3PWR does not enable the two outputs (OUT and AUX) when it is connected to a Standard Downstream Port (Type-A). It is the reason why you got the "error Power measurement not available. Please use a more powerful USB port." popup on the STM32CubeMonitor-Power PC software.
  • The STLINK-V3PWR works well with a Type-C USB PC or hub port (supporting natively either 1.5A or 3A) or a Type-A USB PC or hub port supporting CDP* (Charging Downstream Port) supporting natively 1.5A.

*  have a "spark" logo marking closed to the USB PC or hub port.

If your PC does not have Type-C or Type-A supporting CDP, you can alternatively use a USB hub supporting CDP.

Please feel free to feedback or ask for additional questions.

Best Regards,

Christophe

Mikroproc
Associate

Thanks for the clarification.
I need to buy USB-C plug with PCB for $0.5 instead of HUB 3.0 with Power Delivery for $50