cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP1 loading of Bkup-FWU-Metadata failed

FarukSozuer
Associate III

Hello everyone,

I made a yocto based build using stm32mp1. After compiling, I followed these steps:

1.  I created 5 different partitions in the SD card. These are as follows.Screenshot from 2024-06-22 03-01-12.png
  2.   I uploaded the following files to the partitions I created, respectively.
  1. sudo dd if=arm-trusted-firmware/tf-a-stm32mp157d-dk1-sdcard.stm32 of=/dev/sdb1
  2. sudo dd if=arm-trusted-firmware/tf-a-stm32mp157d-dk1-sdcard.stm32 of=/dev/sdb2
  3. sudo dd if=fip/fip-stm32mp157d-dk1-fastboot-sdcard.bin of=/dev/sdb3
  4. sudo dd if=st-image-bootfs-poky-stm32mp1.ext4 of=/dev/sdb4 bs=1M
  5. sudo dd if=core-image-minimal-stm32mp1.ext4 of=/dev/sdb5 bs=1M

Later, when I connect to the DK1 board, I get the following error.

Screenshot from 2024-06-22 03-08-13.png

When I examine the Flash layout files, I think it does this because it cannot find the FWU_MDATA files. But I don't know the size of the partitions I allocated for FWU_DATA and what type they will be (Linux file system or microsoft basic data). Can you help me with this? Which partitions are missing and what should their file type/size be?

Sinceley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @FarukSozuer,

Feel free to look into the wiki : see STM32CubeProgrammer flashlayout page : the size of metadata partition is 256kiB.

The STM32CubeProgrammer page could help you as well.

BR,

Christophe

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Christophe Guibout
ST Employee

Hi @FarukSozuer,

I think it does this because it cannot find the FWU_MDATA files.

You almost answered to your question : if tf-a can't find both metadata partitions, it generates a panic.

The MPU Ecosystem supports A/B mechanism by default, so it means that PSA_FWU_SUPPORT switch is enabled in TF-A, so metadata partitions must be there like in tsv files delivered by default:

P 0x06 metadata1 FWU_MDATA mmc0 0x00084400 arm-trusted-firmware/metadata.bin
P 0x07 metadata2 FWU_MDATA mmc0 0x000C4400 arm-trusted-firmware/metadata.bin

If you don't need A/B mechanism feature and you want to keep your memory mapping, disabling PSA_FWU_SUPPORT switch in tf-a can be an option.

BR,

Christophe

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello @Christophe Guibout,

Thanks for reply. Is there an easy way to load image files with STM32CubeProgrammer? Of course there is, but I couldn't find the document explaining this. There are many files and doing this one by one from the terminal can sometimes cause confusion. I am using STM32MP157-DK1 as Eval board. 

Even though I know what the problem is, I haven't found the solution yet 🙂

I cannot yet correctly set how large the memory space I allocated for FWU_MDATA on the SD card will be (for example, 256KB) and what its Type-ID will be (for example, Linux file system).

Sincelery

Hi @FarukSozuer,

Feel free to look into the wiki : see STM32CubeProgrammer flashlayout page : the size of metadata partition is 256kiB.

The STM32CubeProgrammer page could help you as well.

BR,

Christophe