cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does CubeIDE stop in Reset_Handler or similar before flashing?

NateS
Associate III

I hit Debug, the console says, "Waiting for debugger connection", after a few seconds the debugger stops in some low level place like Reset_Handler in startup_stm32f411ceux.s, then it resumes, flashes the code, and runs the program. Is that normal?

I dislike this behavior because it opens some source file which I then need to close to get back to my code.

Please note I'm not talking about "break in main", which is unchecked. This break is before the code is even flashed, and it resumes automatically. I don't have any breakpoints set.

I'm using STLINK-V3SET.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Souhaib MAZHOUD
ST Employee

Hello @NateS 
First let me thank you for posting.

It's a normal behavior that while debugging the CubeIDE take a few seconds to resumes and flash the code.
But if you want to optimize the debugging session and stop openning the source file you can try these steps:
- Right click on your project tree(or the folders you want to exclude)> Properties
- C/C++ Build > Settings MCU GCC Compiler > Debugging and set debug level to None.
- Clean build your project.
- Window> Preferences > C/C++ > Debug
- Check the "Never" radio button under Source Not Found, Apply and Close.

Next time you break the debugging, you will see the call stack, but not the unwanted source code files.

Regards
Souhaib

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Souhaib MAZHOUD
ST Employee

Hello @NateS 
First let me thank you for posting.

It's a normal behavior that while debugging the CubeIDE take a few seconds to resumes and flash the code.
But if you want to optimize the debugging session and stop openning the source file you can try these steps:
- Right click on your project tree(or the folders you want to exclude)> Properties
- C/C++ Build > Settings MCU GCC Compiler > Debugging and set debug level to None.
- Clean build your project.
- Window> Preferences > C/C++ > Debug
- Check the "Never" radio button under Source Not Found, Apply and Close.

Next time you break the debugging, you will see the call stack, but not the unwanted source code files.

Regards
Souhaib