cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version

Tom WEI
Associate

Release Notes for STM32CubeH7 Firmware Package (htmlpreview.github.io)

Currently I'm using STM32 FW Package - STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.11.0 whose toolchain should be STM32CubeIDE toolchain (gcc9_2020_q2_update) v1.7.0

WXWorkCapture_16907917766737.png

However, I found the newest STM32CubeIDE1.12.1 is not using that toolchain (its toolchain is gcc-arm-none-eabi-10.3-2021.10).

My questions are:

1. Can I use STM32CubeIDE1.12.1 for projects whose firmware library is STM32 FW Package - STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.11.0

2. If so, what is the difference between STM32CubeIDE1.12.1 toolchain and STM32CubeIDE1.7.0 toolchain? if not so, which version STM32CubeIDE is recommended for STM32 FW Package - STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.11.0?

1 REPLY 1
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

"Firmware packages" versions are not strictly bound to toolchain (compiler) version. Obviously when a new "firmware" version is released, it is tested against the current ST and ARM toolchains (maybe also with some older).

CubeIDE updates have certain toolchain bundled with them and it becomes the default for new workspaces.

Later new toolchain versions arrive (with CubeIDE updates or independently) and you can try them with your existing projects - including the "firmware package". If new compiler or linker break something, please report.

Another part of the toolchain is the C runtime library, newlib/nano. It evolves as well. New builds can break and should (*) be validated...

Bottom line - if you have existing projects and are not willing to invest in validation of new toolchain - immediately after update re-install your previous toolchain, select it in project/workspace settings, be happy.