cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE to version 1.15.0: (.text._getentropy_r+0xe): warning: _getentropy is not implemented

Beside an already solved warning (.elf has a LOAD segment with RWX permissions),

after updating the STM32CubeIDE to version 1.15.0 I am observing the second warning below:

C:\ProgramFiles\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeIDE_1.15.0\STM32CubeIDE\plugins\com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.12.3.rel1.win32_1.0.100.202403111256\tools\arm-none-eabi\bin\ld.exe: C:/Program Files/STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeIDE_1.15.0/STM32CubeIDE/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.12.3.rel1.win32_1.0.100.202403111256/tools/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/12.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m+fp/hard\libc.a(libc_a-getentropyr.o): in function `_getentropy_r':

(.text._getentropy_r+0xe): warning: _getentropy is not implemented and will always fail

In those C++ projects I’m retargeting std::cout from iostream to the serial line. But the same problem comes up,
when I’m retargeting printf from cstdio
or stdio.

Are there any ideas to solve the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Pavel A.,

thanks for your fast feedback and solution!

(With parameter type void* instead of void for buffer[] it works fine.)

Is this topic only related to C++ projects, because I tried also to rebuild some C projects, where I didn't get this warning?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

It is not related to printf or stdio. Add it somewhere with other "syscall" stubs.

int getentropy(void buffer[], size_t length)
{
  buffer = buffer; length = length;
  return -ENOSYS;
}

Hi Pavel A.,

thanks for your fast feedback and solution!

(With parameter type void* instead of void for buffer[] it works fine.)

Is this topic only related to C++ projects, because I tried also to rebuild some C projects, where I didn't get this warning?

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@EmbeddedSystemsEngineer this can be used in any C or C++ project where a real getentropy function is not needed. Various versions of C or C++ runtime libraries may refer to getentropy or not.

Hi Pavel A.,

Thank you for the answer!