cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE: Missing/Blank Tabs With Hi-Res Screen

Garnett.Robert
Senior III

When I move my cursor over the document tabs in CueIDE the tabs go blank and sometimes disappear. Please see video.

I have done the following to get Eclipse to work on my pc:

Compatibility settings to scale menu and toolbar to reasonable size -

0693W00000KbkEwQAJ.jpg 

The relevant details of my PC are:

Operating System

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1511 (build

10586.318)

Install Language: English (United States)

System Locale: English (Australia)

Installed: 10/05/2016 7:26:20 AM

Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB)

Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI (Secure Boot not

supported)

Processor a

3.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5960X

512 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

20480 kilobyte tertiary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (8 total)

Hyper-threaded (16 total)

Main Circuit Board b

Board: ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1

Serial Number: M80-57009900064

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P1.20 12/17/2015

Display

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti [Display adapter] (2x) May 2009)

LCD Screens 2 X 3840 X 2160 @ 30 Hz

I am running CubeIDE 1.8.0

This problem used to happen occasionally with 1.7, but it is chronic with 1.8.0. I desn't happen if you don't change the default compatibility mode settings, but the icons end up extremely small.

I do not seem to have any problems with other software running on my screens.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Best regards

Rob

6 REPLIES 6
TDK
Guru

Disable any compatibility/DPI scaling mode and it works well. The program scales icons/text appropriately, at least for me in Win10 on a 4K monitor. v1.8.0. Older versions had issues which required compatibility mode.

0693W00000KbkYmQAJ.png 

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hello TDK,

I started off with compatibility mode off, but my 67 year old eyes aren't so good and the resulting icons are ridiculously tiny. That's why I turned compat. mode on.

It's OK for twenty year olds, but once you get over forty five to fifty eyesight for many becomes a problem. Reading glasses help, but they have a narrow focal range so the center of the screen is OK but the extremities are not.

I need hi res monitors, because I do a lot of CAD and pcb design. These displays are becoming pretty standard now so Eclipse should be fixed to handle hi-res without having to resort to compat. settings which rarely seem to work effectively.

I know that ST don't own Eclipse, but I'm sure they have their phone number and email address.

Best regards

Rob

What I'm saying is that for me it scales correctly with no compatibility settings enabled. The icons aren't tiny, they are the correct size. I don't know why you're seeing different behavior.
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Garnett.Robert
Senior III

Hmm!

That is strange. I did a bog standard install of 1.8 then upgraded it to 1.9 - so upgrading is working for me now: However I end up with tiny icons. Here is a screen shot of the two; top one no compat, bottom 1 with compat.

What's your screen res. and what graphics card are you using?

I have had a similar problem with sqLite Studio, but that is a very old program that hasn't been worked on for years.

Beats me!

I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Regards

Rob

0693W00000Kbl8pQAB.jpg

Running a single external 4K monitor hooked up to a laptop. 200% resolution.

I doubt the graphics card plays into this, but I have a Nvidia Quadro P3200.

IDE v1.8.0

Compatibility set to "Override high DPI: Application":

0693W00000KbnSwQAJ.png 

Compatibility set to "Override high DPI...: System (Enhanced)": (Note the blank and duplicated file tab just like you mentioned in your OP, and more blocky icons, but correct size)

0693W00000KbnUOQAZ.png 

Compatibility completely off:

0693W00000KbnV7QAJ.png 

Looking at them all side by side, it's clear there are subtle icon/spacing/sizing differences, but very subtle and not drastic as in your screenshots.

Not sure what would be different between us. Weird.

Garnett.Robert
Senior III

hi TDK,

Thanks for that.

I don't know either. As I said I've only seen it with one other program on my machine and I fixed this with the compatibility settings, the same ones I tried for Eclipse. The

compat. settings worked very nicely with sQLite, ( https://sqlitestudio.pl/ ) it's got tabs, but I don't have any problem with them. SqLite open source on Github. It's written in Qt - C++ not Java. I'm thinking that the Java code that drives the tabs in eclipse may be slow as it seems like the problem of disappearing and blank tabs in compat. mode is worse when the machine is very busy, although I can't be sure about this. However this is uninformed speculation on my part. I write a lot of stuff in B4j which is based on java. I have used tabs a lot and haven't had any problems at all.

As an aside, I noticed that a new version of sqLite studio is available. I think it has fixes for high screen res. If you do any sqLite3 you can't go past this program, I've tried them all and whilst there are some of the more esoteric things it doesn't do I use it 95% of the time.

I tried the new sqLite studio version and they have fixed the Hi Res Screen problem.

I used one of the sqLite amalgamations on a H7 with an SD card. It took about 280 k of ram, but it works very well.

Best regards

Rob