cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE has no usage examples, it is not helping to use microcotrolers.

Not applicable

I have seen that a large part of the code used in STM32 uC examples comes from projects made with an Atollic compiler, and this can be one of the main problems for those who are trying to use STM32CubeIDE, since not all configuration windows are the same, in addition a manufacturer of hardware that provides an IDE without dedicated examples ends up hindering development, and as a result, the abandonment of products, in search of other manufacturers that provide better support to obtain the final product in less time.

19 REPLIES 19
JoniS
Senior

STM32cube can generate "all the platform" specific code for you(periephals etc), that can be used as reference with the documentation and reference manual, what else should they provide?

Sure rest of the program is just using the programming language of your choice, which is mostly not platform specific at all.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Unfortunately true... part of the examples (looking at H7) are for SW4STM; import into either CubeIDE or Atollic is not trivial for beginners (hеll, even for me).

The software won't improve automagically, let's being realistic.

So a blog or app nte to explain import and conversion of examples would be very welcome.

Especially, explain

• how the project tree and generated files differ between CubeIDE and others.
  • differences in GUI : core Eclipse, debugger settings, etc.

Regards,

-- pa

n2wx
Senior

Abandonment isn't likely. Like it or not ST's parts are powerful and inexpensive, its printed documentation is light years beyond NXP's and (controversially maybe) Microchip's.

If you want a better IDE you may need to move to a paid IDE like IAR. But if you're stuck with the freebie as I am because it runs on linux we just have to live with it and move on.

How many pro's are actually using CubeIDE for real products?

All this stuff is way too broken/immature, that's why Keil and IAR still have a business, and why MCU vendors should focus on the chips.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Not applicable

The code generator does not generate usage examples, only basic support.

Often it only takes a few lines of code to make it work, but the user has to go through various documents to find out how to do it, and that ends up discouraging.

Many IDEs are no longer used popularly, precisely for lack of examples.

A case in point is the Arduino IDE, which already has built-in examples.

Very complex examples are not necessary, but it helps to have a practical reference, mainly of use of each hardware module.

Not applicable

I think Microchip does a good job of supporting the user. They provide many documents for practical use, and with examples. There is no way to compare Microchip with any other manufacturer in this regard. Atmel is even seeing a big improvement in its documents after its purchase by Microchip.

I don't know what you call a professional. But I'm doing a datalogger with:

- 8 temperature channels,

- with wireless USB keyboard (which the automatically generated library does not support),

- with W25Qxx flash memory,

- with ILI9341 display,

- with RTC Ds3231,

- with MPU6050 (accelerometer/gyroscope)

- with data export via pendrive.

This project needs more hardware to work, not just the chip, so it's not basic job.

I don't know if I can call this a start-up project.

Please do not discourage manufacturers from improving support for their products.

Our small company is using CubeIDE (yes, for "real" products), feeling the growing pains for sure. We do appreciate the new tools and understand the reason for the immaturity.

Is CubeIDE an Atollic TrueStudio derivative? I'm using TrueStudio for a real product. I *detest* it. Every third time I hit pause I have to restart the entire IDE because it doesn't play well with ST-Link. Even though we're small the amount of time I lost fighting with it could have paid for 3 IAR seats but a) the other company we contract with sold us a real product they're not through delivering yet and it's built with TrueStudio, and b) IAR doesn't support linux.