cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE 1.8.0 Debugger starts, but exits immediately

willcfj
Senior

I upgraded to 1.8.0 and it worked OK for a few days. Now whenever I try to Run or Debug (F11) program using ST-Link, the debugger starts, connects, but then immediately exits without error. The console shows:

Waiting for debugger connection...
Debugger connected
Waiting for debugger connection...
Shutting down...
Exit.

The only hints are a directory called RemoteSystemsTempFiles showed up in my project root and I got a single line in the Problems window referring to a nature entry in my .project file. I'm a bit fuzzy on the last point, I cleared the error and it didn't return.

I've tried re-installing CubeIDE and restoring both the project root .settings directory. The issue does not appear to be project specific so not messed with project settings.

Hoping someone has some suggestions. Only thing I can think of next is going into the registry (Yes, Windows) and trying to delete anything STM32-related but that is really messy and dangerous.

Thanks in advance any suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4
willcfj
Senior

Thanks Nikita91. Looks like I need to downgrade. Messy, but still possible. There isn't anything in 1.8.0 I need, I just updated to "latest and greatest" as I was starting a new project for the first time in a while. Looks like 1.7.0 may have similar issues, so may go back a couple major revs.

will

willcfj
Senior

Downgrading worked, I can talk to the target again. I downgraded to 1.6.1. In deleting the IDE, I may have found the issue too. When upgrading to 1.8.0, the installer never quite got rid of my previous version, 1.4.0. Both showed as installed, but even after deleting 1.8.0, I tried running 1.4.0, yet it still IDd as 1.8.0? I just deleted both versions and installed 1.6.1. I have the messiness of having to start over with the CubeMX project setup, but can just bring over the source files once that part is done.

1.8.0 with a fresh install may have been fine, but just going to wait a few revs before upgrading from 1.6.1.

Thanks Nikita91.

will

Nikita91
Lead II

You confirm that 1.8.0 is not a good vintage.

I myself had problems with 1.8 and 1.7

ST should communicate a little more about the bugs of the current version which would prevent a lot of people from wasting a lot of time ...