cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE 1.6.1 runs really slow on a Windows 10 Pro VM (Vmware Fusion 12.1.1) on iMac.

AJach.1
Associate II

You can literally see the chip pinout being drawn scrolling down line by line, up to a minute to get it to refresh properly. I have other far more graphics-intensive CAD programs on the virtual machine and they run fine. Has anyone encountered this issue before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AJach.1
Associate II

Hey thanks, it is appreciated. I have Ubuntu running as well. Another option to run CubeIDE.

The CubeIDE on Win 10 VM issue ended up being solved. I thought to reinstall VMware tools and noticed a recent update to Fusion anyways when I installed it with the tools. CubeIDE took some time to initialize but the graphics run normally and the CubeIDE tool works great. It is strange the issue only seemed to affect CubeIDE, but it is what it is. If anyone encounters a similar problem I suggest trying to just re-install VMWare Fusion along with VM tools or at least trying to reinstall the tools.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Lperr.1
Associate

I hope we can go together for a longer time standard deviation calculator free

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

How many CPUs and memory allocated to your VM ?

Why not using STM32CubeIDE MacOS native installer ?

AJach.1
Associate II

I've tried both 4 and 2 cores 16GB, 8GB, even as low as 2GB (recommended) RAM -- iMac is 4GHZ quad core Intel i7, 32GB RAM, graphics is AMD Radeon R9 M295x 4GB (8GB recommended virtual memory for VM) support Direct X 11 OpenGL4.1. Plenty of space on win drive and Mac. Every time I go to pinout it is drawing line by line the pinout. I can run Altium Designer in full 3D mode with lots of stuff going on and no problems with that. Fusion 360 all fine too. My antivirus has ST as an exception so that is not it either.

You're right, I have the native STM32CubeIDE on MAC too and works fine but Touch GFX only works on Windows, so I used to put the files on a mac share and run in unity mode between the two. Unfortunately, touchGFX seems to prefer all projects on the local C:/TouchGFXProjects/ folder so I wind up up copying files back and fourth and that gets tiring. it would be great if Touch GFX has a Mac equivalent or at least the CubeIDE worked better under windows. I've seen folks post the same issue and they don't seem to be running a VM so I suspect it maybe some graphics driver issue...

Ah yes TouchGFX usage is valuable argument ...

AJach.1
Associate II

Is it that bad? What would you recommend? I find it good enough for some development, (although UI is not my core work) still doesn't change that CubeIDE is slow on the VM though.

Not bad at all and even more ... fully compliant with STM advice: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000B5HFFpSQO/i-am-using-cube-ide-on-my-mac-os-how-i-can-use-touchgfx-with-cube-ide-on-mac-os

Myself I'm using CubeIDE thru some VMs from time to time and no issue but no Windows VM only Linux ones.

AJach.1
Associate II

Hey thanks, it is appreciated. I have Ubuntu running as well. Another option to run CubeIDE.

The CubeIDE on Win 10 VM issue ended up being solved. I thought to reinstall VMware tools and noticed a recent update to Fusion anyways when I installed it with the tools. CubeIDE took some time to initialize but the graphics run normally and the CubeIDE tool works great. It is strange the issue only seemed to affect CubeIDE, but it is what it is. If anyone encounters a similar problem I suggest trying to just re-install VMWare Fusion along with VM tools or at least trying to reinstall the tools.

Thanks for sharing. Please tag as answered will help community to dig into valuable material.